Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on sourcing chuck and/or brisket in Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on sourcing chuck and/or brisket in Italy

Hey, everyone: I'm mostly a pork man, but after trying (and loving) beef ribs I'm looking to take on some larger red meat cooks. I think a good place to start would be chopped/pulled beef, and then progress to brisket.

The main problem for me is sourcing the meat: Italian beef is not graded, it's almost universally leaner than Select, and cut and named very differently to boot. Past experiences in big chains and large butchers were dismal.

The good news is that the guy I buy my pork from, who raises great pigs (strictly free-range, and he grows everything he feeds them too), also butchers a steer every month or so. I've tried his ribeyes (and the aforementioned short ribs), and the meat is tasty if very lean, so he's probably my best bet.

Do you think it makes sense to try to cook a really, really lean chuck into chopped beef or am I going to end up with nicely-barked leather and sawdust? Is there a specific part of the chuck that's usually fattier and therefore better suited to my ends, and ideally of manageable size?

If there is, how do I explain him exactly what I want? Are there drawings/diagrams I could print out? It was already hard enough getting him to understand that I wanted two bone-in short ribs together (and that conversation probably left him with the lasting impression that I'm mad and possibly dangerous).

What about brisket? Is it worth trying to BBQ a packer with the leanest flat in the world or am I better off leaving it for pastrami? Do I have a snowball's chance in the Italian summer to be able to explain the right cut? (Picture two Italian hillbillies standing in a field arguing and gesticulating around a piece of paper...)

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts_photos/BeefMadeEasyCutChart2009.pdf

This chart doesn't really show the brisket. I did a search for beef cutting chart. Hope this helps.

Comment

• dtassinari
      dtassinari commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I'm currently looking up chuck butchery on youtube so that hopefully I have a better idea of which muscles would be good.

What region of Italy are you in? Cattle breeds seem to vary by region, so knowing where you are might help suggest what kind of cow you want to get from. I think Chianina might be the way to go if you can swing it, but that's largely in Tuscany, Umbria and Lazio.

In terms of Italian butchery, you want for chuck a roast that they would otherwise turn into Costolette o Braciole. I'm not sure that they sell that type of thing on the regular, but you just want a large, 2-4 kilo section of it.

Brisket doesn't seem to have an italian equivalent. On the chart below, the brisket is sectioned differently, into parts of 7, 8 and 11. Unless my Italian were really good, I'm not sure how I would explain that to an Italian butcher.

all the names of the italian cuts of meat with descritpion and pictures for each cut for beef and veal meat, with translation in english

Last edited by Potkettleblack; May 17, 2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Hard part about finding (or pointing out) brisket from a chart is it is found on the torso beneath the from leg. It would be in the area marked 7 & 8 if the front leg were removed.

• dtassinari
      dtassinari commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, then I need to be extra careful, because the generally accepted translation of "brisket" is "punta di petto", which is reported as #12. Thanks for pointing that out!

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out the info at: http://jesspryles.com/brisket101/

Thanks Potkettleblack for the link. And just to clarify, I'm Italian, so the bottleneck is not my language proficiency but the impossibly different way beef is raised and butchered here.

I feel a bit more confident about being able to describe a brisket: if I mess it up, worst case I end up with a bit of extra belly or ribs, which is not the end of the world.

If I don't explain myself properly when describing chuck roast, I might end up with lean inedible bits from the shoulder that aren't even good for grinding, or worse with a bunch of thin 1/4" steaks (which seem to be the norm). (Seriously, to this day I have to argue to get my ribeyes thicker than an inch.)

And since you asked, I live in the hills between Tuscany and Bologna, which is deep, deep pork country.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Back, when I was more ambitious, that's near where I wanted to open my pensione, somewhere on the road between Bologna and Parma. Yeah, deep deep pork country.

I have the same problem here in Belgium. The cattle breed here is the Belgian Blue (like the schwarzenegger of cattle breeds) and it's pure muscle. Perfectly cooked rib steaks are tough and chewy. The chateaubriand is like chewing a tennis ball (slight over exaggeration). Luckily, there are a couple specialty butchers on the French border that have a nice selection...Holstein, Rubia Gallega (phenomenal btw), Angus, Wagyu, etc. I'd say I'm quite fortunate...Take a look at the meat display and the Belgian cattle breed I mentioned...This guy lives next to me...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1541.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	320393Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2404.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.74 MB ID:	320392
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a diagram that might help:

The brisket is the beef primal most associated with Texas barbecue, and it tends to be the most difficult cut for most people to prepare most consistently.

Make sure they understand you want both muscles.

Comment

• dtassinari
        dtassinari commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! The whole site is a great resource I did not know about.

I was led to believe that part of the "problem" is that European cattle are allowed to age further than American cattle. The tradeoff being tenderness for flavor. Our beef is just a bit older than veal. Very tender, not very flavorful. Aging is also more prevalent in Europe (look at that Belgian butcher shop! Beautiful. The Chicago equivalent of that butcher is a more rustic looking hipster place in the west loop that doesn't know how to cut SLCs). If this aging both alive and post mortem is the case, slow cuts should be okay for low n slow, even if the steaks are meh. Higher collagen with more age, iirc (@horsedoctor, please chime in).

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend Steak (R)evolution as a worthwhile hour and change. NYT review: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/m...best-beef.html

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. The meat I buy is from cows slaughtered between 30-36 months, not weeks.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Up near your neck of the woods, Faviken uses old dairy cows for beef entrees, rather than meat cows.

And I mistyped... 30-36 month in the US.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here