Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake River Wagyu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake River Wagyu

Couldn't help myself and ordered a wagyu today. Can I inject with same phosphate injection as a prime or should I stick with Just a beef stock? Oils? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Why do you want to inject a Wagyu?

Comment

I know there's already the internal marbling. I just didn't know what I could n couldn't do. I've only worked with choice and Costco prime. I inject those. Do injections mess with integrity of meat. I've asked in other posts but haven't gotten any responses. Just talkin BBQ.

Comment

I've injected Wagyu with butcher's prime, and beef broth. Didn't notice enough of a difference to bother with doing it on a continuous basis. I still inject choice, but I wouldn't bother with Wagyu unless I was competing where every point counts.

Comment

Are you trying to make it taste like a Costco Choice? Pun intended brotha!!

I order SNF Wagyu. When I do, I only want to taste that wonderful extremely marbled moist Wagyu. I personally could not even think of injecting something into meat that is already just about as perfect as you can buy. I think I understand what you are trying to do, but possibly you could just give it a go and see what greatness it can be all on it's own first. This Wagyu will not be your last purchase I promise.

Comment

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you think injecting a Costco prime is worth it? I have done two primes and one choice, and definitely thought the choice could use something. It wasn't as tender or juicy as the prime. I have some injection mix and a meat syringe, so I've been trying to sort out whether it's worth it.

lonnie mac ​edible hen : yea it is for competitions. Although I'm sure your right Lonnie mac, I will get one just for home and just use salt and pepper. I know I'm going about this in a different manner. Should have tried one at home before comps. Just didn't have the time or extra money. Really inquisitive how it tastes. I will say I am glad I learned how to cook choice and prime and keep them moist from mid cook beef broth injections. I'm just afraid of making a wagyu TO moist where it falls apart, if that makes any sense.

Comment

Ah! BarBQ22! I think I understand what you are doing now. Sorry if I didn't. I can't help on comp's so sorry I didn't know that. I have a WHOLE different mentality about that.

Comment

lonnie mac. Its all good brother. Even just throwing down in the backyard I'm all ears. I enjoy reading and talking Q. My wife gets a little bored with it. This is my time just hanging out with the guys, so to speak.

Comment

Ah! I have some Kurobuta pork coming Friday from SNF. It's all back yard here brother. I am most interested in your comp outcome.

Comment

I've been working pretty hard on it. Practice practice practice. Wife n I may take some time off from bbq food after this event. Lol we've been smoking meats on weekends and eating left overs for a few days during week. How does kurobuta pork rate to compart durac pork?

Comment

• CandySueQ
                    CandySueQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do just fine with commodity pork (swift, farmland, Smithfield). If cooking a Smithfield extra tender, I don't inject that either. Gets the same treatment as brisket below. You don't want it to be too salty!

I inject mine. The reason being: it is an expensive piece of meat, and I need all the "window" I can get to keep from screwing it up.

Comment

I've cooked SRF briskets in contests for about 5 years now. I prefer not to inject and most of the time I will not. I do however get my meat inspected as early as possible so the brisket can "dry brine" in my rub for a long as possible. I made a road trip to The Flora Butcher in Mississippi last Saturday. I purchased 4 aged, never frozen briskets and prepped all 4 for contests last Sunday. Vacuum sealed them and put in the freezer. I won't inject those either!

Comment

If you are competing, I would say to inject the flat only, just make sure it's not too salty and you don't do it too far in advance. plenty of marbling and flavor in the point for burnt ends. Also you'll want to take it higher than 203.

Comment

• Northside Brian
                        Northside Brian commented
                        Editing a comment
                        With all the marbling in Wagyu, I have never had to take mine over 200. For me, the key is the resting time. Only time I ever go overe 203 is the rare time I get a select or choice grade brisket.

Salt and Pepper at home.
                      Competition using wagyu? I thought that was just for TV. LOL

Comment

CandySueQ Thank you so much for the insight. Your a proven pro. Much appreciated on advice. I do salt brine 1/4 teaspoon per pound with same measurement on celery powder for smoke ring nitrate. Idk how to use fab or the other salts nor want to try.
                        smokinfatties thank you so much as well on insight. I usually inject right before I put on smoker. I inject low sodium broth only (at wrap stage cuz I use butcher paper). If I need to cook waguy longer what do you recommend? 205-207 ish?

Comment

• CandySueQ
                          CandySueQ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What are you doing with celery powder? It's illegal to season before meat is inspected. I don't strickly salt brine, but I do season as early as possible to let the brisket "brine" in a salty rub. One thing -- bring unsalted beef broth for the wrap. I've found it can tame too much salt down.

• smokinfatties
                          smokinfatties commented
                          Editing a comment
                          BarBQ22 anywhere from 205-210 depending on probe tenderness, I enjoy butcher paper at home but I don't know how well it really does at comps. Gives a bit more of the Texas style to me- crunchy bark but still a bit moist which I love at home but doesn't fare well with the judges (at least in CA).

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here