Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treat Bison like Beef? Your thoughts and suggestions, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treat Bison like Beef? Your thoughts and suggestions, please!

My wife recently bought Bison tenderloin and I was wondering if the same cooking techniques such as reverse sear and others apply for this meat as for similar cuts of beef. Any thoughts you can offer will be great appreciated!

I would treat it just like beef. It is a bit leaner than beef so be aware of that. I would just add salt, pepper, gran garlic and onion. Then let it roll. Post some pictures of the finished product so we can check it out. Bison is good stuff!!

Comment

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Spinaker! This comment about leaner makes me thinkI should apply butter before serving...what do you think?

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      i would think if you are going to "apply" butter it would have to injected. spreading butter on top won't penetrate the meat

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      True it wont penetrate the meat. But I have never said no to anything being covered in butter. If you RS correctly, It won't be dried out. Ray

If you've ever cooked with 100% grass fed beef, it's about the same as that. For SV processing, I find a bit of oil/butter/beef love in the bag is helpful. For traditional cooking, I find lower internal temps are good. If this is farmed buffalo, taking it two degrees lower on reverse sear shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef love is amazing.

Tenderloin is pretty lean on beef also, so not that much difference. Other cuts as ^^^ are much like "grass fed" beef. A dollop of melting garlic butter on top of a medium rare steak is always a good thing!

Comment

Bison is amazing, I cook it the same as I do a steak.

Comment

Is bison gamey at all? Seems like I've read it can be, but can't say for sure.

Comment

IMO no more than purely grass-fed beef.

Comment

TheCountofQ
            I've never found it to be gamey, but taste is very subjective...
            I eat lots of it, very easy to come by, here!!!
            Do ya like venison?
            Some folks think venison is very gamey... I am not in that camp.
            It jus' tastes yummy, to me!!!

Comment

Well, the Bison steaks turned out great! In fact, so great that they were consumed quickly and I missed a photo opportunity...sorry....haha. But I treated them like beef steaks and the same technique worked well for these. By the way, the applied butter is just for flavor, not to make juicy. Actually, I was surprised that even as lean as these cuts were, they were quite juicy when cooked to 130-135F. Many thanks for your advice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here