Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inject chuckies???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inject chuckies???

Who here injects their chuckies??
    I have not done this yet.
    Does it add more juiciness or give it more flavor??
    I got 3 4lbrs. For Sunday's cook.
    So far I've been pleased with just dry brining and BBBR.
    But would like to experiment.
    All thoughts will be appreciated.
    Thanks, guys and gals.

I do not inject. Just dry brine overnight and apply some Big Bad Beef Rub. I smoke them at 235f to 250f until the meat stalls and the bark is set. Then wrap em up and wait til the IT hits about 205f. Check for probe tender then dump it in the Grizzly cooler for at least an hour. It's money every time!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I've always done in the past. With good results but I was just wondering about trying something a little different to see if it would be better.
      Hey I got 3 so what the hell. I'll inject 1 and see how it turns out. I'll let you know.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B ... try not injecting one AND not wrapping one.🤔 I really don't get the wrapping thing that many on the Pit do??? It might get the cook done sooner but it effects the bark too. I plan my cooks so I get a minimum 2 hours in the cambro, but if it's a quick cook it gets 4 hours.

My last chuck cook I added beef broth when I wrapped, IAW ABCBBQ Dave, and it was pretty awesome!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. Maybe inject 1 and try adding the beef broth to the second and let the third one just ride. Sounds like I'm gonna be busy on Sunday. Like I need that right now. Yeahaw

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B, I have done them all three ways: let it ride, wrap after I like the bark, and wrap with broth added. They all were delicious. I liked the wrap with broth best. Chuck is a lot like pork shoulder, Very forgiving.

I always inject my chuckies and wrap "nekkid" at 170-180°F, taking them to 208° or so for good pulling. Never had one not turn out juicy and tender, at least so far!

FWIW, I inject along the flat plane of the meat as it sits on the counter, going in from the side, placing the chuckie in a 2 gallon ziploc bag so that if the injection sprays or leaks it doesn't go on the backsplash or me.

Here's a rough injection diagram:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Diagram for injecting meat.JPG Views:	5 Size:	11.4 KB ID:	312123

I like injecting chuck, brisket and turkey breast; using Butcher's BBQ injections much of the time, but they contain a lot of salt so it requires a light touch on the dry brining step.

BTW, Jerod Broussard turned me on to Tony Chachere's injections for poultry. Boy are they good!

Kathryn

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      What an honor coming from someone with TWO PhD's!!!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard ...That PhD in PBCology was the tough one to get!

K.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here