Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs Questions

Picked up some beef back ribs this morning at local grocer on sale. Never smoked Beef ribs before. My plan WSM target temp 250. BBBR. Trying to plan for dinner. Any ballpark figures on time? I'm guessing 4 hours. Should I wrap after 2 or three hours or so?

fuzzydaddy or anyone else...What are your thoughts or methods?

Troymeister

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	308432

Cook plenty long, them dudes can be TOUGH.

Comment

8 hours is the shortest I have cooked beef ribs to get them tender. I'm interested in the wrap feedback you get. I have wrapped at 4 and 6 hours. At 4 hours they have been a bit "pot roasty". I only do them once or twice a year so I'm glad you asked the question so that I can see some of the answers.

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll get my fire going now. I guess I can Cambro them if they are done early.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, Huskee , fuzzydaddy , what are your thoughts about his cooking time for these?

I used SnS instead of WSM. I didn't feel like opening another bag to satisfy the WSM.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with beef ribs. I cooked three bones once and it was a minimum of four hours.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding. The beef ribs I've been able to find locally are 4-bone sections and each run about 1.2 pounds. I cook to probe tender, which is about ~200 IT and about 4.5 hours with a 230 average pit temp on my kettle/SnS. I wrap when probe tender and hold in a faux cambro for an hour or 2. The ribs I've been getting are pretty thin. Yours look to be much thicker and my guess is 6-8 hours. I've never wrapped during the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1777.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	308479

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1846.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	308480

Comment

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            fuzzydaddy ...Thanks, looks like my timing is going to work out fine. Final pics to follow.

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            troymeister you're welcome! I should add that mine are chuck ribs. Meathead's guide here http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/BBQ_beef_ribs.html is:
            1" thick meat should hit 203°F in about 5 hours.
            1.5" thick meat should hit 203°F in about 7 hours.
            2" thick meat should hit 203°F in about 10 hours.

Man, just made me hungry for beef ribs. Thanks for the picture. Looks awesome.

Comment

I'm usually around 5hrs, 7 if they're real big. Just like pork ribs.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              I would agree with Huskee. I've cooked them the same time as spareribs. Shorter if at 275 and longer if at 225. 5-7 hours is a good estimate.

Finished product is at Show Us What Your Cooking

Comment

tbob4 Final synopsis of cook. Put ribs on at 1:00PM...Avg temp 240...5:30PM ribs @158 Uh Oh..Friends coming at 6ish PM.

Set Oven to 300. Wrapped Ribs in foil with some beef broth. Ribs @190@ 7:00. Cambro'd at 7:15. Ate at 7:45. While waiting for ribs to finish we drank a lot of wine. Over all ribs were really really good they just could gone a little longer. But we had to eat sometime.

Comment

troymeister - Thanks for the feedback. Looking at the responses above, I guess, like anything else, there are a couple of ways to achieve good results. I typically cook at a lower temp and thus, I guess that is why the cook takes as long as it does for me. If I kicked the temp up like Huskee and LA Pork Butt I would likely get the same result in a much shorter time. Thanks for the follow-up report.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here