Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easter Sunday, time to butcher then cook Ribeye Cap! Is it the #BestoftheCow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easter Sunday, time to butcher then cook Ribeye Cap! Is it the #BestoftheCow?

It's Easter Sunday, and #JesusIsAlive!

We will be eating dinner later, and when you are the @BishopofBBQ, that includes eating meat. In this case, glorious Beef Ribeye steaks, from Grain Finished Angus cows, Choice grade. Here we have a 19.17 pound whole Ribeye, and I am going to be separating the Ribeye Cap for the first time, as I have heard from outstanding people it is the tastiest piece on the cow. Let's get started!

Admission: I don't like prime rib either! Feels good to get that off my chest.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Sear them suckers up!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Which scottranda said those things?

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      It just seems a waste to not get that Maillard reaction on there! And if the cook doesn't brine them 24 hours ahead, then you have to make sure not to get a bite of the middle that isn't dipped into the aus jus or such, or it will be a, well, terrible #SaltFree taste.

I'm trying to recall, buy I think I remember Jerod Broussard telling of his love for the Ribeye Cap, but I'm not certain. In any event, Ribeye is my absolute favorite steak. And those edge pieces on the Ribeyes are the best bite on them. Hanging out with you all and getting more into food, I've learned that cut is called the Ribeye Cap, or Spinalis Dorsi, cut 112D. My intro video is above, and here come the pics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3201.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	305882
    Oh, well that is lunch after church, 3 Pork Tenderloin medallions! Sorry, back to work:

19.17 pounds of Angus, Grain finished Choice Whole Ribeye from Sams.

Name:	IMG_3202.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	305881
    Out of the package

Name:	IMG_3206.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	305878
    Cap removed! Ok, I agree, it would have been cool to video the separating of them. But my daughter wasn't back yet to be the wonderful video assistant. But I took pictures??? As you can see at the bottom, I got it wrong and sliced one of the eye's in two down on the chuck end. It's ok, both sides will get some of the goodies now!

Name:	IMG_3207.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	305879

Now I'm working on getting the silverskin and hard connective tissues off that cap. I know you guys all love those gorgeous bits off the Ribeye cap, but it's hard to get those inedible connective tissue pieces out of the way...that is unless you separate them out and trim them! I'm getting hungry!

Name:	IMG_3209.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	305880
    If I didn't mention this earlier, I've not done this before. It's part of the Meathead way to take a stab at things, with the support of AmazingRibs.com and you guys in the Pit!

Oh, I did get a little video of trimming those connective tissues off the cap, so we can get #EveryBitePerfect.

The finished, trimmed Ribeye Cap weighes...

Name:	IMG_3217.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	305885
    4 pounds, 2 ounces.

The bottom lip, before additional fat trimming, of which there is quite a bit of fat left to trim, weighs 2 pounds 9 ounces.

Name:	IMG_3218.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	305888
    And the Big parts left weigh nearly 9 pounds.

Name:	IMG_3221.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	305887

Attached Files

Comment

Now for the start of the money shots...the Steaks!

I trimmed a little fat off of the main filet portion, so it is now 8 pounds 6 oz, so there was about 9 ounces of fat and silverskin I trimmed off.

Name:	IMG_3226.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	305900
      At home, I'll often trim off the hard silverskin off the edge of the steak, as Meathead has instructed, so that my girls don't have to...ok, I know I can trim it better than they do post cook, and I don't want to waste it. Also, the more edible surface that gets that fantastic browning effect, the better!

So I saw all that silverskin on the outside of the Ribeye Filet and thought to myself...

Name:	IMG_3223.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	305898

That is should go.

Name:	IMG_3224.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	305899

Here are some steaks from the small, or chuck end

Name:	IMG_3228.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	305901

I'm getting hungry! Now add the big Ribeye hunk left for cooking later in the week, sans the silverskin. All dry brined with 1/2 teaspoon per pound and into the fridge for about 4 hours.

Name:	IMG_3231.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	305897

Maybe you were asking, "How much fat did you remove @BishopofBBQ?" Great question.

Name:	IMG_3233.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	305896

4 pounds! We will be rendering that to make the BeefLove here in a bit.

Attached Files

Comment

You have my attention; please continue!
        Happy Easter!!!

Comment

That's some fine looking prep work, Paul! The hard part (except for the waiting) is now over ...

Comment

If my memory is on tonight, I think Costco sells Ribeye Cap in small pieces rolled up to look like a small steak. I look at them every time I go, but they don't appeal to my wife...

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB - they are fantastic. Expensive per lb even for Costco but still cheaper per lb than an inferior steak from the supermarket.

• BBQbot
              BBQbot commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, out my way they're almost $20/lb, but once in awhile, so worth it!
              Nothing better than reverse seared (starting in the smoke) ribeye cap!

Paul - love the photos and the thread. Don't ever give up the enthusiasm. It is contagious.

Comment

I was in Costco today and they had ribeye cap with 4 pieces in a pack. The portions were very generous, but all the packs were north of $70.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here