Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sirloin wing rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sirloin wing rib

Hello from the UK!
    I have got just over a kilo of Sirloin beef wing rib and want to get it on the grill this weekend. How would you approach this for best results? All ideas appreciated!
    Thanks

EDIT - I think the USA call this cut something different to the USA so maybe this link would help - https://www.scottbrothersbutchers.co...b-sirloin-4kg/
    Last edited by aguycalledadam; April 13, 2017, 07:22 AM. Reason: Translation help

I don't have any experience with that cut, but I do know I'd dry brine it now to give the salt time to work it's magic.

Comment

Yep Ill be getting salt and pepper on it asap. Thanks

Comment

I never heard of it before either, but from what I gather from a Google search, it appears to be a bone in sirloin, either roast or steak depending on how you decide to cut it up.

I'm guessing since you are looking at 1 kilo (a couple of pounds I think), and part of that being bone, you are planning one big steak, or two smaller ones? How many rib bones are on it?

Comment

• aguycalledadam
          aguycalledadam commented
          Editing a comment
          It 1 rib bone and all the meat to the next (if that makes sense) so yes one big steak but thinking I may cut into slices to serve

Today I learned: Cows in the UK can fly

Comment

I think it is very similar to Cote de Boeuf, but from the sirloin end of the ribs. Reverse sear that steak and enjoy.

Comment

Sounds like you got it under control then. I would either sous vide (maybe not with the bone, as I would be afraid of it puncturing the bag) or reverse sear after slowly (225ish) bringing up to 10-15 (depending on thickness) degrees under desired finished temp. Maybe smoke (keep it white if you do) during the baking stage. If seared in a cast iron pan, I'm a huge fan of deglazing with a small can or so of mushrooms, and pouring on top of the strip afterwards. Serve w/ grilled asparagus and chilled pickled beets. That's just a me thing.....

Is that a dry aged, as in your link?? If so... I am envious. Enjoy, and POST SOME PICS!!

P.S. A bit of granulated garlic is good with the salt and pepper.
            Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 13, 2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep in mind that TheCountofQ is thinking in Fahrenheit, and you'll want to convert. But I'd take the approach he's recommending unless you really want steaks (which would be a good thing with the kind of aging it's had).

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF, I guess I'm a bit confused. Assuming it is pretty thick, @ 2lbs, and being just one rib not able to cut into two bone in steaks. How would you change this method for steak vs roast (as I think you think I was discussing roast)?? Thanks for the "metric conversion" catch!!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd just roast it myself.

I guess they're more mature. Who would have thought that a sirloin tip would grow up into a wing, so the cow could fly

Kidding aside, I think that is the equivalent of what is a sirloin tip roast in the US. That means it's very lean (little or no marbling).

They are suggesting roasting it. So, a slow cook up to about 46C (115F), and then a quick reverse sear should give you an excellent meal. Don't know your preferences, but I would keep it to the rare side of done (under 55C) for the best taste and texture.

And welcome to the pit from Phoenix, AZ.

Best regards,
            Jim

Comment

Welcome! I have no good recommendations as I'm new too. But, I'd love to see how it turns out.

Comment

For anyone interested here's what I'm cooking later on
                Attached Files
                Last edited by aguycalledadam; April 14, 2017, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now that's a slab o beef! Good luck!!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now isn't that pretty!

This is how it ended up. Pretty happy with the results despite a bit of a nightmare cook (1 cent fell off making temperature regulation a bit more dramatic than normal)
                Attached Files

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                  TheCountofQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent!!

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good cook. Nice crust. I bet it tasted great.👍

Looks like ribeye or prime rib to me!

Comment

Looks delicious! Good job.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here