Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing Rib Roast/Knife, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing Rib Roast/Knife, thoughts?

I'm going to smoke a rib roast Saturday for the in-laws, my first. I'd love to have any and everyone's input/opinions/suggestions/warnings/Etc. As of now I plan to stick to the AR way (linked below for anyone that hasn't already read it 100 times).

I'm also perusing amazon to see if there's a decent slicing knife with available prime shipping that I can have delivered in time, so knife suggestions are desired as well. I figure cooking a rib roast for the in-laws is the best time to convince the wife how important such a purchase is towards ensuring that the family enjoy the best meal possible.

There are some tricks to learning how to cook a perfect prime rib, tenderloin, round, rump, and other beef roasts and we have assembled them all in one place! Discover our secrets for ensuring it is cooked right from end to end and with a deeply flavored crust in this ultimate prime rib recipe.

Follow the AR way, it has worked great for me the 5 times I've done it.

As for a knife, I have this one and it is great.
    Last edited by Gooner-que; April 12, 2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Did it once so far. Absolutely perfect.

Amazon has Victorinox Swiss Army 12 Inch Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife with Granton Blade

It's America's Test Kitchen winner.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have that one and absolutely love it. I purchased it in December 2015 for $49.99 but it was sold by Amazon at that time.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the one I own and I am fond of it.

• Baker Dan
      Baker Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the one i use also

The roast are very easy and rewarding. I would debone it and use butchers twine to tie it as close to a circle as you can this way you will get a very even cook throughout the entire roast. They are very easy to debone and if you have a dog he can have a wonderful treat as well

Comment

Only suggestion I have is when you reverse sear get the roast really close to the heat source and turn it frequently. The one I did last weekend was too far away from the heat so to get the bark nice I wound up with a little over cooked ring around it. Otherwise this recipe is perfect.

Comment

OK, I'm going cheesy here, but if you already have an electric knife--say, for turkey--it'll do a bang up job on prime rib too. No less a pro than Alton Brown has recommended electric knives in some applications.

Comment

For what its worth, I like to render some of the fat trimmings down and paint the roast right before the sear. I think it helps the sear come out a little more even Imo. I usually use a board sauce even if its just plain olive oil on the cutting board before carving.

Comment

Glad to see this thread. Same scenario for me though thankfully no in-laws!😊I've just deboned and trimmed a $120 standing rib roast for this evening a la AR recipe that JP posted up top . Feeling a tad nervous as my prior conventional wisdom was leaving the fat cap and bones in. This is my first time doing one in my GMG smoker instead of the oven - will finish over high heat on a seperate charcoal grill. As far as knives go, their a bit pricey but i got a set of Wusthofs on special and their incredible. They need sharpened often but really do cut like the proverbial 'hot knife' Good luck with the inlaws OP, I'll let you know how i go today.
            Last edited by Bukowski's Burnt Ends; April 13, 2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link JP. Loved the rib roast...despite being nervous about all the trimming it turned out great.
              Attached Files

Comment

• JPGators17
                JPGators17 commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful! Glad you were nervous about the trimming too. I just trimmed mine and it feels like I over did it. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

• Bukowski's Burnt Ends
                Bukowski's Burnt Ends commented
                Editing a comment
                I pretty much trimmed until it looked like big chateaubriand, no fat or silverskin.Pulled it at 52c seared on charcoal grill at high heat. Was worried at the lack of 'give' that it may be overcooked but was nice and medium rare on cutting...leftovers for today's cheese steak sandwiches ☺ Good luck.

• JPGators17
                JPGators17 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great to hear. I did the same. It messed up the shape too, so I packed it down per Meathead and went ahead and tied it up for the over night chill. Hope I didn't screw up the shape too bad.

Nicely done!

Comment

David Parrish I might use the kettle for this, can you tell me how you'd set up the SnS to cook at 225-250 for a couple hours and then reverse sear a whole roast? I'll need to be able to sear on the whole length of the SnS for the size roast I have.

Comment

It's "just a knife", but this knife is a much cheaper alternative to a slicer and it is sweet: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...ag=amazi0a8-20

Comment

It turned out ok, but definitely not perfect. Of course my biggest mistake was underestimating the cook time and trying to rush it at the end, so I started the reverse sear at 113 instead of 115. Not sure if that made a big difference but i had to sear it for 20+ mins to reach 130 IT, and it charred the bark pretty good in the process. I assume that's what caused the grey ring too.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks like mos' beautimous eats from here, don't punch yerself!
                      If th' gray ring bothers ya' over-much, skin it off, an' send to me on dry ice...
                      I'll take care of it fer ya'!
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 20, 2017, 12:58 PM.

You're being to hard on yourself (like most of us tend to be). Looks great!

Comment

• JPGators17
                      JPGators17 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I am certainly my toughest critic. The guests enjoyed it and asked me to do one for our nephew's graduation.

EdF is dead right we all torture ourselves too much! I'll bet it tasted awesome JP.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      True dat. ^^^
                      If we didn't care, this would be zero fun, whatsoever!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here