Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top round

Doing at 2.75lbs top round today. It's dry-brining at the moment, then I'll hit it with some Mrs O'Leary's Cow Rub and get it on low and slow for several hours this afternoon. I'll also do some double-fried fries whist I'm out there. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3851.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	297952
    Nice weather for it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3852.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	297953

Nice view you have, hope the cook comes out great

Comment

Nice looking top round. The salt on your board ties in with the snow in the second photo. How are you doing the double-fries?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
        Nice looking top round. The salt on your board ties in with the snow in the second photo. How are you doing the double-fries?
        The salt is considerably lighter than that wet, heavy snow!

I'll slice up my potatoes at lunch time and put them in a bowl of water to soak for several hours. When it's time to cook I drain/rinse/dry them and then get a dutch oven of oil to ~300* and do the first cook for about 4 minutes, until the cut easily with spoon/spatula but before they start to brown. Then I take them out the oil and crank it up to ~400*. When everything's ready the fries go back in for 3 - 4 minutes until they're nice and brown and crispy. Out the oil, into bowl lined with paper towel and onto the table for eating!!

As an extra benefit it seasons the dutch oven amazingly!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Here's a trick you might want to try, at least on part of them. After soaking and draining, put them in a bowl with some coarse salt and mix them around so that you rough up the surfaces of them. GIve more surface area for the oil to get into and work. Then go on with the rest of your procedure.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for sharing your method! Much appreciated.

Once again my SO is right, I'm like a dog seeing a shiny object.

Now or I wanna do double fried fries in my DO. The kicker, it seasons it!!!!

Ive often wondered this and will ask, do our deep fry on your cooker? I know it's a Duluth oven and doesn't have shallow walls and you manage a responsible amount of oil. Is that doable?

Comment

Originally posted by Notavegan View Post
          Once again my SO is right, I'm like a dog seeing a shiny object.

Now or I wanna do double fried fries in my DO. The kicker, it seasons it!!!!

Ive often wondered this and will ask, do our deep fry on your cooker? I know it's a Duluth oven and doesn't have shallow walls and you manage a responsible amount of oil. Is that doable?
          I use my 'side' burner for the fries. You can just see it there mounted to my grill area. I saved the burner from my old Chargriller Duo when I dumped it, just so I could use it for my new setup.

Comment

Chiefsilverback
            You are very wise..

So your 300-400 degree references were oil temps I presume.

Comment

Just lit the grill...

Comment

Meat's in... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3859.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	298255

Comment

It's cooking much faster than I had planned for. It's been in for just over an hour and it's already up to 99* internal temp with grill temps between 200 and 220.

Comment

I might reposition the probe and see what I came up with.

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
                    Chiefsilverback commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just checked with my ThermoPop and it's right on the money! I'll pull it at 120ish, wrap it and put it in the faux cambrau until eating time.

All done, and eaten! I probably went a tad over on the temperature. Next time I'll plan for a 2 hour cook...

Name:	IMG_3864.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	298483

Name:	IMG_3865.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	298482

Name:	IMG_3867.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	298481

Comment

Looks great! How's the flavor and texture?

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
                      Editing a comment
                      Flavour was good, texture was a little chewy.

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you look at the cut face, you'll cords of meat going from left to right. That's the grain. You want to cut across it, which will soften it up a bit.

Looks good, however, it looks like you cut with the grain. Was it tender enough? I usually make pit beef with it. Meathead has a good recipe on the site for it. Low n Slow until it hits ~ 115-120 then sear it on all sides until it hit's 130 in the center.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the reminder about the pit beef recipe!

• Chiefsilverback
                      Editing a comment
                      I did use MH's recipe/technique, problem was it cooked much faster than anticipated, so I had to hold it for an hour or so which probably wasn't ideal! Which way is the grain?

Very nice, including the potatoes! I'm hungry again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here