Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef split spare ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef split spare ribs

What exactly are these? Picked up a couple of these at the local grocer today and have never heard of beef spare ribs. Came in 3 pieces as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0336.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	294190

Name:	IMG_0335.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	294191

Name:	IMG_0334.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	294193
    Attached Files

Typically when we cook beef ribs in BBQ, we are cooking the plate. Spares are the bones that are left at the end of the plate. They generally don't have a lot of meat, but they can be BBQ'd just the same. The plate itself is the bottom half of the ribs. And the "Spare Ribs" are found down towards the bottom of the steer. Near the navel section. almost to the skirt steak. These will be tasty, cook them like you would regular beef plate ribs.
    Last edited by Spinaker; March 25, 2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Spinaker So would these be equivalent to rib tips from pork spare ribs in assuming?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, like pork spares. typically they are not labeled as "Beef Spare Ribs" Usually just "Short Ribs"

Any reason why there are 3 separate cuts in the pack?

Comment

Not really. The single bone may have been one that was one that table from another cutting on the same table and they threw it in the package. Some call single bone ribs as 'English Beef Ribs" But I am not sure why they would have the extra chunk of meat in there with them. it almost looks like a skirt. Which is trimmed off from the inside of the Plate ribs. This is a possibility as well. In which case, you scored. Skirt steak is great forCarne Asada. Cook it hot and fast.

Comment

Oh man! I use skirt steak often for fajitas didn't know it came from the rib cut. Not all fimiliar with every beef cut but I am with pork. Looks like I picked 2 winners today!

Learn something new on this site everyday!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You got it man. That's why we are all here. As my old man says, "If you don't learn something new everyday, you're not trying hard enough."

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here