Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first Pastrami!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Pastrami!

As always, I am following the tested recipes here on Amazingribs.com. I made the pickling spice on an 8lb brisket I cut in half. Just started the Corning process and I gotta tell you, it's going to be a tough wait until I can smoke that sucker! I'll share pictures along the way.

THANK YOU to everyone here on the recipes and advice. I never thought I'd make my own pastrami. Can't wait!
    Attached Files

Have fun. It's a good adventure!

Comment

Keep us posted.

Comment

Nice. I have a 21+lb brisket in the fridge that will partly become pastrami.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          21+ pounds? How big are the cows in Texas??
          Last edited by Steve Vojtek; March 21, 2017, 05:41 AM. Reason: Autocorrect messing with my ryping....

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          you are in a non-stop pastrami making cycle, aren't you?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve Vojtek the wife wanted a brisket for us since I am cooking one for someon else, I figured I needed one big enough to mooch some pastrami off of. @DuesDingo it is ridiculous how "craveable" that stuff is!!

Hi Mark, Best Wishes on the pastrami! I'm on my 3rd one of these, a little further in the process, on an 8#er as well. Mine is coated and curing in the fridge and ready to be smoked on Thursday. I live in CT and have eaten at THE real Katz Deli on numerous occasions, and I can state for a fact, this recipe is SPOT ON!!! I was blown away when I took the first slice of the first one I made....it was AMAZING how much it truly tasted like KATZ Deli pastrami.

Good Luck and Happy Pastrmi'ing! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170321_112247510.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	292339

Comment

• MarkD
          MarkD commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey BradFlood - that looks great! I have to get a mesh grate like you have! I also have been to Katz's and can't wait for this weekend when I smoke my pastrami. Tomorrow will be day 7, so out of the brine and into water to desalinate. How long do you desalinate for?

Hey Mark, I desalinate for about 24 hours, change the water once, if I remember...lol.

I got the wire rack at Bed Bath & Beyond, really handy.

I smoked my pastrami on Thursday to 150 degrees internal (see photos), then wrapped in foil until yesterday (Saturday 3/25) and steamed it to 203 degrees (took about 2 hours from 58 degree start temp) Unfortunately I forgot to take photos of the "steam" and finished product, but we had 14 people over for a Pastrami Sandwich Party and it was a HIT!

Getting ready to make myself a pastrami Reuben as soon as I'm done with this post.

Hope yours turned out as good, or better (tough call!) than mine.

Thanks for the comments and "Like"

On the Smoker @ 8:00am; Temp 39 degrees

Click image for larger version  Name:	3 On the smoker 39 @ 8am.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.47 MB ID:	294760

Smoker loaded

Click image for larger version  Name:	4 Smoker loaded.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	294761

Two Hours in, Temp 126

Click image for larger version  Name:	5 2-hours in 126.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.40 MB ID:	294762

Three Hours in, Temp 145

Click image for larger version  Name:	6 3 hours in 145.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	294763

Four and a half hours in, DONE, Temp 151

Click image for larger version  Name:	7 4.5 hours in @ the Stall 151.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	294764

Apologies for not taking Stem & Finished product photos...my BAD! But it was DELICIOUS!!!

Off to make a Grilled Pastrami Reuben sandwich right now!!!
        Last edited by BradFlood; March 27, 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Reuben, Reuben, Reuben ...!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            It wasn't - I was just cheering on the idea of having one!

• BradFlood
            BradFlood commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL, well, I appreciate the education, along with the Cheers!

Happy Smokin'!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            And to you, my Friend!

This is the best recipe on the site. Not that I have made them all. But I just cant imagine eating anything better. Especially @ABCDave 's tweak with the SV. Light out good!

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            You got that right!!

Desalinated for a day...now time for Meathead's pastrami rub to do its magic!!! Can't wait until Sunday when I smoke this!
          Attached Files

Comment

Pastrami Day is FINALLY here!!! And what a perfect morning it is...37 degrees at 5:30AM and is forecasted to get to 60! I'm not sure what it is about charcoal and getting those suckers lit in the chimney, but man what a beautiful site! Minion method used and I have one pastrami on the bottom grate and one on the top. Wood choice is cherry. One of my probes broke, so I'll have to use my instant thermometer sparingly throughout the smoke. Pit temperature hovering around 226 right now. The neighbors are gonna be jealous as the smell of smoke and cooking pastrami permeates the area!
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like some serious pastrami is gonna happen!!!
              Good Luck!

Comment

All I can say is amazingribs.com has once again made me a BBQ god! The pastrami came out great! Everyone enjoyed it and wanted to know what my next project is. THANK YOU Meathead and the crew!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome! Nice work!

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ohhhh yeah, that's pretty!

Man, that jus' looks fantastic!!!! Great job!!!

Comment

DANG Mark D, That's a GREAT lookin' pastrami! Speaking from experience, it won't be long before you're revisiting this recipe and cook

Comment

Thanks gentlemen! I think I'll try the beef jerky receipe next!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here