Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you don't use the reverse sear method...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't use the reverse sear method...

to cook your steaks or fillets...you are a knucklehead.

Well put. Cheers!

Comment

I honestly sometimes don't have the time to mess with that. I still pan fry a ribeye every now and then. I did one last week. NICE crust.

Comment

Or you ended up with thin steaks because someone else bought them.

Comment

We were all BBQ knucklehead's until we stumbled on to AR.

Hell... we didn't even know what beef love was either. Digital thermometers were definitely considered science fiction. We thought a Texas Crutch was something to be used by disabled people. We basically grilled our steaks to burnt, real burnt and incinerated, take your choice. 2-zone cooking was way, way out there! What the hell do you mean start a small fire on one side of your grill and put your steak as far away from the fire as possible - hell man we're grilling, not baking.🙈 That nonsense took a few cases of bruskies to come to grips with. None of us ever heard of putting a perfectly smoked brisket or pork butts in an ice chest for a few hours before serving it either.😬 Many of these crazy ass wild ideas Meathead has concocted didn't make much logical sense on the first read to us good ole boys that had been grilling and smoking perfectly burnt meat for decades.

Then we read the comment section and anyone that got inebriated enough to try these crazy techniques were saying... best steak I ever grilled!

Welcome to the Pit rmeugene ...👍
          Last edited by Breadhead; March 20, 2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel like you do after a prize fight where you lost every round... you ache for a few days.😡 It could have been worse though.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Doc B, you always have a great way of putting things. That's why you are our psychoanalyst of Pitology. 👌@Breadhead, keep getting better, head wise that is, well, I guess both ways, that is.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan ... sometimes i'm guilty of TWI. Typing while Intoxicated 😵 This might have been one of those times.🙄

If you watch the video where Meathead compares methods with Jamie Purviance, he thinks that the steak that got sear-and-slide was pretty damn good. I've watched that video several times, and there was no clear winner.

Reverse sear is a method that makes it easier to get superior results. But a damn good steak is a damn good steak regardless of how it was cooked. There were damn good steaks before reverse sear.

Comment

The steaks I buy here are usually quite thin and require a "fast and furious" method. If I get a really thick steak I definitely reverse sear it or SV it but I can only eat so much - some of the really thick steaks are too much for me... They have to be shared....

Comment

But if you do this:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQon2HUZ3j7R5Bi-mvLIbhhphKlDFTcynIMYY-ke2gMApEJ_3GNm3Kwb0U.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	291333
              Then

Name:	images (94).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	291334

Comment

• rmeugene
                rmeugene commented
                Editing a comment
                My friend asked if we had ketchup when I cooked fillets...I almost cried. "Hey - I like ketchup on my steak".

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm horrified !!! I hope its not contagious for your sake. Is there a cure???

• OneEyedJack
                OneEyedJack commented
                Editing a comment
                MY EYE!!
                How do you un-see something?

Name:	Gj9ZpZRx7543TBM8hefDI6YAakSDVt31RuhMfmpiWNxVeXc0EpgJc6w2MJ8YmOqkTFQcwF1DFCW3URiQaBvKCQVAExRCqPGpWFbp8sFHGEK20gLzKf4CZo1YSeKYxTM=w411-h358-nc.png
Views:	108
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	291916

Comment

Jury is still out on the reverse sear in our household. At least on Steak. I understand the science. And I think it's an arrow that everyone should have in the quiver. But I can put some moves on a Ribeye without the reverse sear. And I'm talking thick cut, well trimmed, nicely marbled beef. Cooked over medium high direct heat with the lid mostly closed. I pull them off the grill at 135 f. This has been my method for years. And my results have been Very Good! I have experimented with reverse sear and my wife complains....

Having said that I will continue to experiment with the reverse sear method. I suspect I just need more practice. And maybe some better tools. (MCS) LOL

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MCS is a wonderful affliction...👍

2 threads going on about the reverse sear, I gotta post to this one too
                I used to sear first for years, either indirect to direct on the grill, or cast iron to oven in the kitchen.
                I was able to get great crusts, with very little gray band.

There's one reason over the last few years I've been reverse searing - the smoke. I get a much better smoke flavor by smoking til about 110F, then searing to 128-130F.

Comment

OK I have to throw this in here:
                  http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/h...ook-steak.html

As Kenji mentions in his article as the steak slowly comes up to temp the surface dries out forming a thin "pellicle" that browns rapidly.
                  That is why a thick reverse seared steak in my kettle with SNS has always been superior to my SV reverse seared steaks. Always. Makes sense as anything from Kenji always does.

​​​​​​​Have to add Meathead has the same technique both Masters of their trade.....

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                    Steve Vojtek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And pleeeeaaasee do not put ketchup on your steaks....There is enough horrible things in this world....

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ketchup on a steak?...🙄 Never in my house.😡 Not even by invited company! Ketchup is for hamburgers, not steaks or hotdogs.🙈

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not even sriracha - ketchup of the 21st century??? ;-)

I've cooked steak both reverse sear and grill-and-pray methods. My wife prefers steaks by the direct sear. Now, for a roast beef, reverse sear is the preferred method in our house.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here