Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resting/Holding Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resting/Holding Brisket

CAB Brisket smoked to 190-205 internal and then pulled off the smoker.

How long does it need to rest? How long can it be held comfortably in an alto shaam?

With the Alto Shaam set to 150, looooooooooooooooong time. I would let the internal drop down to the 150's then place in a 150 Alto Shaam.

Comment

• LindleyBBQ
      LindleyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Why would you let it cool first? On the counter or in cooler?

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Again, this is very late but the reason you allow it to cool 1st is to avoid "Carry-Over" cooking.
      At 190°F-205°F it can become overdone during the resting period depending on how hot and fast it got there.
      I picked this up plus tons of other great tips from Aaron Franklin in his videos.

Really? Someone with access to a 4,000.00 cooker/commercial oven and you're asking about holding meat? Serious? Did you just stumble upon this piece of equipment recently, or yanking our collective chain?

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      He's about to open (or maybe already has) a BBQ joint in Georgia. Probably wondering how long he can keep Briskets before they start to lose integrity. So as not to waste any during the busy lunch time. Just a guess though.

• LindleyBBQ
      LindleyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Only concerned about the quality of the product after an extended hold.

I've got some equipment myself that is way more valuable than one with my experience would typically have. Just blessed, I guess. I also sometimes have questions that many would think I should know the answer too, as they seem basic and I should probably know the answer too, as I am not a newbie to this. Sometimes I just run into issues and circumstances I have not before, or am trying something new. I am glad they asked, since it speaks to a good holding temp in general.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      On the other hand, it could be that you've forgotten more about BBQ than most people ever learn!

The question should be can I hold it for X hours. People here routinely hold meat for 2 to 4 hours, and sometimes more. Most here would suggest at least a 1 hour hold, with two being better. Anything more than that is probably not necessary, but won't hurt the meat - up to a point. But I will let the experts give a definitive answer.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be too facetious, (ok Maybe a little!) but anyone opening a retail feeding establishment should already possess this knowledge. If the topic was just meant to stimulate conversation, Ok I get it. In that case I'd point the OP to Meathead's article on safe food handling at

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...od_safety.html

There are also many good resources on the interwebs that again, a retail establishment should be familiar with. I'm betting the OP already has a working familiarity with safe food handling techniques or he's not going to be in business very long and is going to have a veeeery large liability issue very quickly.

This raises the questions about the difference of hobby cooking/serving and retail. Even though the practices on safe food handling SHOULD be the same, I'm betting in large part they are not. Most home/hobby cooks don't have a clue about foodborne illness, cross contamination, workplace sanitization, or safe food storage. That's why it pays to spend time reading through this excellent website and using the resources Meathead and the crew have made available to us, the hobby cook.

BUT, as excellent as they are, they are in no way exhaustive nor should they be relied upon to open a retail establishment. You should undergo a thorough training program and comply with all required local, county and state food safety regulations before considering offering your talents for sale. To do otherwise, isn't wise and can be very costly if someone gets sick, or just claims to have gotten sick from your cooking.

This is kinda why I posted my response to the OP in the way I did. If he is going to be selling his food to the general public but isn't familiar with safe food handling/storage practices with the equipment he has, he is in over his head and in danger of harming someone and losing everything he has should he do so.

If I have misread or misinterpreted the OP post or intent, I humbly apologize, BUT this post kinda scared me when I first read it, Hope I'm over reacting but not too much! Food safety is one thing that really keeps me up at night. The last thing I want to do is make someone sick with sometingI love to do. I truly hope I'm not alone here! (and by the way, I don't think I am!)
      Last edited by Da' Moose; March 17, 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure this was a question about food quality and not food safety, that's how I took it, but I understand and cede to your point on food safety and how they are actually the same. That being said, I worked for a highly trained and educated executive chef as a line cook in my younger days. Food safety and cleanliness in his kitchen was king. We were all independently certified in all things food safety.
        To your original question regarding holding food in an Alto-Shaam , you should be able to hold through an entire service (lunch and dinner being considered separate) without loss of quality or integrity . We could hold 6 entire full prime rib roasts throughout an entire dinner service. Cooked medium rare they would hold perfectly. On a Saturday dinner service we would go through 6 rib roasts in less than a 5 hr window. Double that if we did a holiday prime rib buffet. You'll need to expirement with the "how and what" works best for your situation. I would source this question through your Alto-Shaam equipment rep as well. They're not in the business of screwing over their customers, as you'll certainly purchase another when you expand. It's a fantastic piece of equipment.

Comment

I agree with KevinG that I'm not quite sure that this post was about food quality and wanting some advice and opinions of folks who may have experience with this kind of equipment.

That is one of the main things this forum is about. We bounce ideas, ask questions, learn from each other, get feedback on equipment other folks may have experience with etc.... How many times have we seen folks post wanting to know more about equipment before they buy it OR having questions about equipment after they have purchased it? It is a common theme in the pit and it is wonderful to have the cumulative wealth of knowledge in the pit to help Holding food is an extremely important aspect of a BBQ Restaurant and I don't blame (in fact I applaud) the OP for wanting to get some feedback on it and trying to see what folks have experienced in order to learn as much as he can.

So while yes I have to say that food safety is of the utmost importance I don't think this is what the OP was getting at at all and I think that Da' Moose was way off on his admittedly facetious and seemingly condescending posts. Not everyone knows everything about the business when they get into it and in fact the smart ones will admit that, that they need help, and that they have questions.

So as was already said: If I have misread or misinterpreted Da' Moose 's post or intent, I humbly apologize, BUT this post kinda bothered me when I first read it, Hope I'm over reacting but not too much! ...........

Best of luck with your veture LindleyBBQ !

Comment

Grate (pun intended) insight Kevin and Nate. I totally missed that point from the OP, and as I said I do apologize for MY misinterpretation of the original post. Sometimes my humor gets the better of my judgement and I type and hit send before I think things through, BUT look at the discussion that has come from it. That's why I love this site! the collective knowledge of the members here far outweighs the ignorance of some us of that participate in/on it. Good luck LindleyBBQ on your business endeavors.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Da' Moose Sometimes I have a hard time finding my arse with both hands. Now that is embarrassing to ask help doing! BTW, it seems I've misplaced my mind again, anyone seen it about?

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              You better hurry up and take that free membership scholarship!

Smoke On, LindleyBBQ !!!

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm new to brisket and the alto shaam is a new piece of equipment for me.

I'm trying to determine how I'm going to put out consistently great brisket while being open for 10 hours a day. I plan to smoke briskets all day and pull late at night similar to Franklin. I then will rest/hold them until service starting at 11am. I'm worried about the briskets lasting until dinner service since that could be approaching a 20+ hour hold.

My issue is not safe holding temps as I will keep them above 140 entire time. My issue is quality with extended holding even in an alto shaam and my fear that the brisket may either get too tender (mushy, pot roasty) or dry out eventually.

Hopefully I'm so busy I'll just sell out of it at lunch. I'm trying to avoid having to do 2 cooks and to train another staff member to cook overnight from both a training and financial aspect. Cooking on direct flow offset by the way so no turning on the Southern Pride and leaving for me. Ha.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                LindleyBBQ it has been a few months since you posted here.
                I just bought a fairly new holding cabinet for brisket.
                Have you gained enough knowledge to give me some advise?

LindleyBBQ , you may want to check out OnCue Consulting that is owned by Mike and Amy Mills of 17th St BBQ. Awesome folks with awesome services. They have restaurant classes and obviously do consulting as well and I know they put an emphasis on holding stuff in some of there stuff because of how essential it is for Q joints.

Comment

Your question is good. Give it a shot once with family and friends for dinner. You'll find out soon enough. Anything over 4 hours... I'd ask The Pit too!

Comment

Considering smoked and paper wrapped brisket...
                  At what temperature and at what humidity should I set my new holding cabinet for?
                  It is due to arrive here from Texas this coming Tuesday.
                  Anyone?

Click image for larger version  Name:	9 Series Control.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	365079
                  It is a Series 9 C5 Metro cabinet.
                  Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 19, 2017, 08:49 AM. Reason: Added Photo

Comment

Okay, it is time for some experiments.
                    Dr. Greg Blonder probably has all of the answers to our questions LindleyBBQ
                    -
                    My experiments will be to hold at 145°F and start off with a low humidity.
                    French Fries from McDonalds will be a good test.
                    My understanding is that hours after they are placed into the holding cabinet, they taste so much like fresh, that the "eaters" cannot tell "Fresh-from-the-Fryer" to "Held-in-the-Cabinet" for FOUR Hours!
                    We will see...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here