Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pastrami.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1,000.7 KB ID:	288257

I've successfully used Meathead's recipe for homemade pastrami. I liked it, but the wife didn't like all the pepper. So we tried it again, using only a tablespoon each of pepper and ground coriander. She likes it - I don't miss all the pepper, but think it needs a little more spice. I'll work on that.

I used my Weber Smokey Mountain, 22". Kingsford original - about 30 briquets in the Weber chimney, filled the ring about 2/3 full. 1 gallon water. Hickory chunks. I use a Maverick ET-733, and it's made a huge difference in the quality of my BBQ.

Trimmed the 5# CAB brisket flat down to 1/4" of fat. Cooked most of the time at 225-250, for 3 hours, at 150. Wrapped in foil with 1/2 cup of water, put it in a 225 oven for 2 hours. Pulled it out when it hit 200.

I had a lot of trouble with heat control. Think next time I'll cut down on the number of briquets, and add more if I have to. I've got the insulating tape, just need to install it.

I cooked the point off the brisket at the same time - it took several hours longer to finish.
    Save
    Save

Now, that's a good looking pastrami! A little brown stone ground Senf and Echte Rye Brot and you're golden!

Comment

Congratulations! Keep on cooking.

Comment

I made two pastramis side by side last week. One was much more peppered than the other. The ingredients were the same but one had finer grounds than the other. The finer ground cut tasted less peppered. I added 1 tsp of allspice and 1 TBS of coffee grounds to the rub recipe. I preferred the heavily peppered to the other. My wife preferred the less heavily peppered. You photo looks delicious.

Comment

Looks great. This is my favorite thing to make now. The flavor is outta control.

Comment

My family also thinks Meathead's Pastrami recipe is a bit too peppery. I replace half the pepper with ground juniper berries. Very nice flavor (for our taste buds anyway).

Comment

• boilerman
              boilerman commented
              Editing a comment
              Never heard of using juniper berries. what did it add to the flvor? I have a 35'juniper tree behind my house is why I'm asking..and I make 4-5 pastrami a year.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I dunno' for sure, but most of the corning spice mixes I've seen do use them. Adds a bit of a fruity flavor from what I can tell.

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Best I can describe, they add a sweet, somewhat pungent or piney flavor. In this case, we're also reducing the pepper. The pastrami recipe I followed prior to coming across AR used juniper berries in both the brine and the rub. They are the key flavoring in gin! boilerman, the ones I use are dried, never tried them fresh off the tree.

I too find the MH recipe a bit on the peppery side. I cut the pepper back by one tablespoon, and that seems to satisfy everyone.

Comment

A thing of beauty

Comment

Nice looking pastrami. I just smoked one for 13 hours . Of course it was 11 degrees out.Did you use Meathead doughnut method? It is a minion method. Gives you long term temp control. Keep smoking!

Comment

btuckertx, My Corned Beef is in the Brine Now! I hope to Take from the Brine on Friday and Cook Part for πŸ€πŸ€Sunday Dinner w/Cabbage,πŸ€ Potatoes and...πŸ€πŸ€Γ’Ββ€œ The Balance I hope To Rub With Black Pepper and Honey(Butcher's Recipe) and Smoke ItΓ’Ββ€œ πŸ‘πŸ‘I Hope It Looks πŸ‘ As Good As YoursπŸ‘πŸ‘
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                    Steve Vojtek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mine is coming out of the brine tomorrow to be desalinated... I will continue following Meatheads recipe and see how it turns out. I like pepper...

Beautiful!

Comment

Oh boy, that looks so good!

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Moose View Post
                      Now, that's a good looking pastrami! A little brown stone ground Senf and Echte Rye Brot and you're golden!
                      I had planned to make some Jewish rye bread, but just forgot to do it. This getting old thing is getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by boilerman View Post
                        Nice looking pastrami. I just smoked one for 13 hours . Of course it was 11 degrees out.Did you use Meathead doughnut method? It is a minion method. Gives you long term temp control. Keep smoking!
                        I'm going to try that next time. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by btuckertx View Post

I had planned to make some Jewish rye bread, but just forgot to do it. This getting old thing is getting old.
                          yep! I feel ya bro, but, even though growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here