Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unfreeze and refreeze meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfreeze and refreeze meat?

A friend of mine has a small farm in Washington St. They recently had a cow slaughtered for both cash and meat. One of the pieces of meat she kept is a full packer brisket. She posted a question on FB if she should do a corned beef with it for St. Patrick's Day or smoke it Texas style (were both from Texas) for the 4th of July (as an aside, all the votes shes received thus far are for smoking it).

I suggested cutting the point off and using that for corned beef and smoking the flat for the 4th. She likes that idea a lot but let me know she brisket is frozen. She asked if she could thaw the meat out, cut it, and then refreeze the point without damaging the beef.

I have always thought you should not do that. However, I told her I have access to the most knowledgeable people on earth. Thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

I believe it has to do with the fact that when you freeze meat, the water in the cells expands and can rupture the cell membranes. So if you were to do it twice, you'd be losing more juice. I don't know if it makes any noticeable difference though.

Here are two options:
    • Reverse your suggestion and use the flat for corned beef. Cut the brisket below the point with a (clean) saw blade while frozen and just thaw the part she's going to cook. Then she'll have some flat and point to smoke, and I've really enjoyed smoked point so far.
    • Send it to me, I'm in Washington as well and I'll take care of everything

Comment

I read somewhere that refreezing is OK as long as it was thawed slowly in the refrigerator the whole time. But if it sat out at room temp to thaw it should be cooked and not refrozen. Not sure about the case of thawing in water, but my guess would be more towards the no than the yes. Also don't remember the reasoning... Just remember the rule of thumb.

Comment

To a degree it depends upon how you thaw it and my best advice after years in the food industry and basic rule of thumb is after once thawed cook it and then you can refreeze it.

IMHO refreezing any raw product drastically lowers quality.

We have at least a couple of food scientists on board and hopefully they will come to the rescue docblonder , ProfessorJohn

Comment

I like to live dangerously and dont have the learnin that the FDA guys have. If it was thawed slowly, but not held at room temp for too long, refreezing and cooking to a temp that will kill all the bad guys is not a problem. It may have an effect on the quality of the end product, but it wont kill you. I dont have a problem with cooking stuff that has been in the freezer for 2 years or freezer burnt meat.

DISCLAIMER: I am not posting this as an expert on the subject and cant condone like practices, but I aint dead yet. If anyone has a good reason why I (or others) shouldnt do this, please correct me

Comment

Thaw it enough to cut it and refreeze what you want for later. It will be fine. I do it all the time.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              What HorseDoctor Just Advised Is the Correct Answer @ Obi-Dan, IMHOP ! As long as the Meat Still has Ice Crystals it Should Be Ok! PBCDad 's Suggestion Is Also Valid! Damned Kids❓❓❓

Thanks everyone. After sharing what has been posted here and talking with her further she found a friend willing to put a brand new blade on his band saw in exchange for an invite to the BBQ. She's going to let it thaw just a bit and cut it.

Comment

Meat will cut easier and cleaner if it is still slightly frozen - 26 to 30F. If using a band saw, it may not be necessary. If you let the brisket come to 28F you can cut it yourself with a serrated blade. Refreezing, especially in home freezers is always slow and is likely to rupture some cells that will lose moisture.

Most pathogens don't grow below 40F, but spoilage bacteria do, so thawing / freezing / thawing is almost always a quality issue.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                Obi-Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I have passed this along.

As others mentioned, best to cut on a (food grade) bandsaw while still frozen. But I often wrap a frozen brisket in a towel and leave in the fridge til just below melting (the towel slows down melting in the fridge so the whole cut is at one temp). Then divide with serrated knife, and refreeze the extra. Second time you cook the meat it will be a little mushier, do to partial expansion and refreezing. But not bad.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                Obi-Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you doctor. I have passed your prescription on.

yeah as Obi-Dan stated Ice crystals are sharp little boogers and will puncture the cell membrane walls Making the meat more mushie (as docblonder stated) The slower the freeze the bigger the ice crystals Freezers freeze very slowly thus big crystals. now since we smoke for long periods of time to break down and soften the meat that may be a great way to tenderize the beef!! good chance nobody would notice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here