Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Beef

Has anyone cooked a corned beef in the grill I am thinking of using my little pellet grill to fix one? if you have how did it turn out & how did you set it up? Thanks to all in advance!!!
    Dave

I have and the biggest thing to know if you are using a store bought corned beef is to soak it in water for at least 12 hours and then slice off a small piece and cook it. If it is still too salty soak it some more until you hit salt the level you are looking for.

After that cook it like a brisket and you will enjoy some beautiful Rubens and probably the best corned beef you have ever tasted.

Comment

I have smoked a few. I soak over nite cook till 203 at 225. Some i put rub on some i dont. When soaking change the water every couple of hours. I have one i will be doing this weekend, homemade one

Comment

At least 12 hours - last I had the guy did it for 48 and for sure changing the water is a must. I love regular corned beef, but a smoked, desalinated corn beef brisket smoked into a great pastrami is wonderful...I'm looking at doing 2 points and 2 flats next weekend. Buddy did some in his egg and this is what he used as a rub:
        4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)
        1 teaspoon ground coriander
        1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
        1 teaspoon onion powder
        2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning
        1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
        1 teaspoon paprika

Comment

lschweig, customtrim, Yelnoc, Thank you. I was thinking I would add some potatoes after it reached about 160* all of this in a shallow pan. do you think it will work?

Comment

Darchie03 not going to say it wont but brisket cooked only to 160 will more than likely still be tough. If it were me i would take it till probe tender or around 203 wrap and keep in a warm oven, 150 or 170 what ever the lowest on yours would go or a faux cambro to 150 160 if your planning on slicing it.once it hits the stall you could be looking at 5- 6 hours before you're done so the potatoes maybe a little over done. You could wrap to speed things up then when it is close un wrap save the juice add to a pan and add the potatoes

Comment

• Darchie03
              Darchie03 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was only going to add the potatoes & some vegys at 160* & take the whole thing to 203* or probe tender.
              Thanks Dave

• Darchie03
              Darchie03 commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe wait a little longer to add potatoes.

• customtrim
              customtrim commented
              Editing a comment
              Darchie03 yeah I read that wrong sorry

Hey folks. I have a corned beef point that I am thinking smoking. I usually smoke at 225, but I am wondering how long would the cook time be - the same as a brisket point or less?

Comment

• customtrim
              customtrim commented
              Editing a comment
              I would figure close to the same. My pastrami point was on for 8 hours the other night at 225 it was still sitting at 160

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              customtrim thanks.

Used mine to make MH's close to Kat's pastrami. Turns out GREAT! Some of the best my friends have had.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here