Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Cook Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Cook Length

Hey All,

I'll be cooking my first brisket this weekend and was looking for a little advice and insight as to how long this cook will take. I was able to get a "choice grade" flat from Costco. Its just shy of 7lbs, but only about 2.5" thick. I plan on cooking at 225-250 degrees and I also plan on crutching to shave off some time. Most of the brisket posts I read around here are saying that they take a really long time, 12+ hours to cook. I guess I was wondering if I should expect a similar time frame even though the brisket I have is only 2.5" thick in the thickest part? Is this typical for a brisket to be this thin? Your wisdom is always appreciated. I just need to know around about what crack of dawn I'll need to wake up at. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you have the flat and not a full packer. What type of smoker are you using? What time do you plan on serving? Remember, once its cooked to about 200 internal temp, it will need 1-3 hours in a cambro for maximun flavor.

Comment

There really is no true answer anyone can give. To many variables i had a smaller piece take 14 hours

Comment

What kind of rig are you working with?

I'll just answer how I would plan for this on my Char-Broil Vertical Gas Smoker.

I would budget 12 hours of cook time and I would strongly recommend finishing a few hours early. You can always hold the brisket when it's done in a faux cambro for up to 4 hours. This will allow the briskets to reabsorb some juice and tenderize. I would also recommend re-reading Meatheads article on Brisket. Every time I reference it, I always notice something I missed before!

I did not finish early the other day and I had some "hangry" women on my back - you do not want this. Faux Cambro is your friend lol

I did not see you mention a thermometer. Strongly recommend one if you don't have it.

This is just my 2 cents - I know there are other more experienced pit members on this board. They might have a more exact answer on cook time.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          "Every time I reference it, I always notice something I missed before"
          Amen ... Funny how human brains work....

• Sierraslick
          Sierraslick commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll do anything to avoid "Hangry" women! I don't want to work all day at something only to have my wife angry before I can collect my "honey-do points." What's the fun in that?

Northside Brian stanman814 customtrim, Thank you or the responses! I'll be using a Weber 22' Kettle with the SnS to cook the brisket. I'll also have a Maverick ET-732 thermometer to keep a eye on the temps. I was planning on putting in a faux cambro for at least 2 hours. So I guess based on your advice I’ll it at 4am with a goal of a 12 hour cook and 2 hour rest, means I should be eating by around 6pm. Even if things go a little faster I wont be upset if i'm eating sooner . I was just so confused as to why thinner piece of meat would take so long to cook, must just be the nature of the type of cut. I did a pork butt that was 6" top to bottom and that took around 12 hours to cook, it just wasn't making sense to me that a thinner piece meat would take just as long. Thanks again!

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          Parnicus good luck have fun with it, it is a great experience. Watch the stall and your time you can always wrap to help speed up the process. I always get the grill completely ready so when i get up all i have to do is throw the starter in and light it

There is no exact time ... Too many variables... Start earlier than you think you should and wrap it and keep it warm in a Cambro or a 170 f oven if you can...

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

According to Meathead thickness of meat determines cook time but, each piece of may cooks differently. If you wrap it will cut the stall about in half. So, that being said I would guess inside of 10 hours not counting faux cambro time. I have done a turbo brisket a la Chris Grove at 300 with pretty good results. If you are pressed for time this could help. If my memory serves me correctly it took around 6 hours without cambo time. Good luck.

Comment

At 225-250, I would plan for up to 8 hrs on the smoker without a wrap, 6-8 if you crutch it. plus up to 2 hrs in a cooler. You can hold it in the cooler for up to 4 hrs and the internal temp should still be around 160, perfect for serving. Better to estimate longer than shorter.

Comment

As I tell the wife, it will be done when it's done.

Comment

All of mine take about 12hrs total @225. 7-8 hrs until they get through the stall to about 180 IT, wbich is where I personally think the bark looks best, then maybe another 1.5 - 2hrs give or take to get up to the ~200 range, then a good 2hr FC hold. I say plan on 11-12hrs. And yes, most flats are thin, 2.5" is actually pretty good for a flat, there may be a little point underneath that thick end.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here