Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing Beef for the Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing Beef for the Weekend

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	283407Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	283405Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	283406 I have had half of a whole ribeye dry aging for the last 3weeks in the fridge in the garage kitchen. I cut into 1" steaks, trimmed the dryed edges and dry brined with kosher salt. Vacuum sealed to land in the hot water sous vide bath, then a sear on warp 10 charcoal. I also purchased a 3-1/2 lb chuck roast-dry brining also. All of the great looking pic of smoked chuck has made me ave to try it. The chuck will end up in the freezer to cook beside a deboned pork butt in a few weeks for the test cook in the new reverse flow smoker that is coming together in the garage.

I'll be interested in the outcome of the dry-age and SV. I would think that the aging process lends itself more to smoke and sear. That however, is based only on reports of the aging process here and some of the smells associated with it. SV locks in some of the aroma. I don't have the fridge space to age stuff so I am really looking forward to your report of how it turns out. A spare meat fridge for aging is on my MCS list but so is another freezer. Really nice photos!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      The spare fridge is the only way that I get to do this.

Some ones gonna be eating good for sure.
    Wish it were me. Oh well.
    Please show us the pics of your cook. Can't wait to drool on my phone.

Comment

I'm interested in this reverse flow smoker build that you slipped in there at the end. I think a separate post with plenty of pictures and descriptions is in order! (steak looks fantastic too)

Comment

Will do, I hope to have new smoker done by Easter-will put up a post about it then. Just an evening and weekend project when I can work in time to weld. Started with a 120 gal propane tank - 24" x 66" more to come later.

Comment

Oakgrovebacon, You're Going to Eat High Off the Beef this Weekend! Are You going to Dry Brine Your Chuck Now?
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Oakgrovebacon im jealous for a lot of reasons. The obvious from pics you have sent (so far, you still owe finished product ). Also that you have sv as an option, I do not. And lastly, due to stuffout of my control I am not cooking at all this weekend.

(On the not so bad side, it is cold as heck and windy (northeast) and I'm ok not playing the charcoal game, today).

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, me too, though I was kind of looking forward to trying those char siu ribs this weekend.

Hmmm... I see a potential problem with this cook.😬

Your dry aged beef looks fantastic. I like the way you trimmed it and got it ready to cook, but your problem is the 1" thickness.🤔 We call that a skinny steak in the Pit.

I'm assuming you are going to set your SV bath tub water at 130° to be at a safe cooking temperature that won't incubate any bacteria that may be on the surface of your meat. If that is the case and you want that fine aged beef to be cooked to a perfect medium rare, 135°, your skinny steak only has about 5° to gain during the searing process. To get a nice crust on a steak it requires a very high cooking temperature and anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes per side to get that crust.

My guess is your 1" skinny steaks if SV'ed to 130° and then seared to get a nice crust is going to come off of the sear station at about 145° to 150°.

Personally I would not SV a 1" steak. I would cook those steaks the way Meathead suggests doing skinny steaks. Hot, hot, hot direct heat and turn your meat frequently until it gets to about 133° and let the carryover cooking take it to 135°.

When I SV Ribeye steaks... I want a minimum of 1 1/2" but really prefer a 2" cut of meat. I SV it to 130° and then sear it under direct hot, hot, hot heat and encourage open flames by applying ample beef love before I sear them. That searing process will give me a real good crust in 1 minute per side. That short searing time will not increase the IT of my steak very much at all - I'm cooking the surface. If you cook at a lower temperature without an open flame it will take twice as long to get a good crust and your steak will continue to bake internally which may cause your steaks to be over cooked.

I do hope your steaks came out to your liking...👍
            Attached Files

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Great point Breadhead I didn't pick up on the 1" thickness part. I don't have an SV but wouldn't use it for that thin of a steak either.

BTW I keep seeing this and I may have forgotten, but what is (beef love)?????

Steve B ...
            Make your own "Beef Love"

Chef Rick Gresh keeps a cup next to his grill with what he calls "beef love", melted beef fat trimmed from his aged steaks. Gresh paints the steaks with it before they go into the dining room. I have taken his method one step farther. I paint the meat with beef love before it goes on the direct heat as well as before I serve. It enhances browning and brings great flavor to the party.

To make your own beef love, just ask your butcher for a pound of suet, the term they use for beef fat. Butchers trim pounds of it every day and throw it away. It won't cost you anything. Take it home, chop it into cubes about 1/2" and put them in a pot over medium heat to medium low. Put on the lid. After a few minutes you should see tallow (liquid suet) in the pot. If not, raise the heat slightly. After about 30 minutes most of the fat will have melted. There will be some fibrous matter that doesn't melt, just throw it away. Pour the tallow into a heavy bottle, let it cool and solidify, and store it in the freezer. It will keep for months.

When it is time to cook your steaks, scoop off an ounce or two and melt it in a small pan. You can even melt it on the grill.

As an alternative, I have had great luck using rendered bacon fat, duck fat, and goose fat as beef love.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Breadhead I kinda thought that's what it was but wasn't sure. I've used butter in the past.
              I will have to try this.
              I have gotten beef fat from the butcher to use in my ground beef to make them a 70-30% or even a 65-35%. Makes an incredibly juicy,favorable burger

Breadhead Nice looking steak!

Comment

Steve B ...

Personally I save all of the suet I trim from pork and beef. Plus I save all of my bacon grease. That gives me much more beef love than I can possibly use.

I put it in a big pot and render it into a liquid form. Then I let it cool to room temperature and I pour it into ice cube trays. I freeze the cubes and take them out of the ice cubes trays and put them into freezer bags.

When i need beef love i take a cube out of the freezer bags and put it in a ramican and nuke it until it is liquified again, 2 or 3 minutes. Then I use a silicone brush to paint it onto my steaks and put them on to sear...

i honestly can't taste the difference in taste between pork or beef suet.

You say you've used butter for this... pork or beef suet has a much higher burn rate than butter, as does canola oil. I wouldn't use butter for this step.

Attached Files

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Again thank you Breadhead . What an awesome way to manage the fat rendering. Makes it so convenient.
                I'm feeling like an amateur now. But that's the beauty of this site. We all keep learning and improving our skills from each other.

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                Great way to use trimmings from brisket and pork shoulders etc.. I've done it in the past but now I've discovered 200 gram tubs of rendered wagyu fat for 5 bucks in my supermarket and its just more convenient for me..

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve B ... I agree we all learn from each other in the Pit. Meathead taught us all about beef love and I thought that was brilliant. Then I thought freezing it would be better than refrigerating it. Then the ice cube tray idea made sense to portion it properly. Nuking it speeds things up too.👍

If you rapidly chill those steaks (still in the bag) in an ice water bath for an hour or so as soon as you pull them from the SV hot tub you'll minimize over cooking during the sear.
              Last edited by MBMorgan; March 5, 2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                That would help I agree. Based on Meathead's suggestions about the reverse sear method I just don't ever think about reverse searing a 1" steak. Especially after it's already at 130° before the searing process. You can't possibly get a good crust on it without over cooking the meat.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here