Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuckie cook part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuckie cook part 1

Last mid week I started to crave bout getting some much needed cook time in (became so bad I started to have dreams bout it. Ever happen to ya?)
    it didn't help much when David Parrish posted a video about chuckies with sns (so all my blame goes to him). I don't have a kettle nor a sns. But I do have a smoker. Now for some chuckies. Now I believe in my local butcher but I also check local papers for a few price saving deals.
    Well Wednesday came around and acme came out with some Chuckie steaks on sale. Steaks? They don't know me, my steaks are a min of 1 1/2 in thick hunks of meat and no less. (It's a mental thing that happens when ya eat to much dirt and grass as a kid which is my case)
    so the sale started on Friday. Perfect I'll swoop in and attack em right after work and they won't know what hit em.
    Friday rolls around and all I think about is cooking some chuckies. (Like a dog after beggin strips)
    i get off work and park strategically In acme parking lot in case I have to make a b line out the door in case they feel like they were just robbed.
    i go to the meat market and bam, I see em but wait, again, only a 1/4 in thick chuck steak well they did advertise chuck steaks, but not 1/4 inch cuts.
    A bead of sweat rolls down my head. I start looking around like a dog that just couldn't catch that tail pipe of the car going down the road. Where is that butcher?
    I turn a spot him (which is easy cause he looks like a doctor running around right after a surgery. The only person in the store that has blood on his lab jacket. Not to hard to find. I think they do that first thing in the morning. Ya know a badge of honor). He's out tossing chicken in a center isle bin.
    I know I won't bother him, I'll wait by the meat door so when he comes back I'll pounce. Like a hawk watching a rabbit I'm watching his every move as I block the entrance door to his cutting room. He tried to scoot pass me with his cart, but I put the ole block on him. I ask him for some chuck roasts. He ask me how many lbs. his face dropped when I told him 2 5 lb hunks. He says to me that do I realize how thick they were gonna be. Hah! Already ponder that in my dreams!
    Why yes, yes I do I replied. He says okay be right back and off he went to his magic room after I let him proceed (mans gotta do what a mans gotta do)
    as he preparing em, I'm looking for his briskets which was also advertised as flats.
    He came back with a big smile on his face as I saw my 2 baby chuckies in his hand. He goes to tell me how proud he was that he got em so close to 5 lbs each. I told nodded my head to his ramble as I was thinking I don't care, just gimmie, gimmie, gimmie. I tossed em in my cart impressed after I saw how he trimmed em so well. That saved me a step. I asked him bout his briskets and if they were packers. Another dumbfounded look. I had to explain what a packer was. Wrong question. He had no idea. I'm using my hands to describe the point and flat and still no response. Oh why bother I think. He may be good at chuckies and trimming but most def not brisket. I'll pass.
    I get home with the intentions of dry brining, but got hungry so I ate then sat down and turned the tv on. Oops mistake. I fell asleep. Mind you I get up at 230 every morning to go to work and even on my days off. Food and tv makes my body go into sleep time.
    I wake up and see that it is now 11 pm Friday night. Oops again. Well it's still "the day before" me cooking these babies so let me get to it. I got the dry brine down. Whew, what a relief. The cooks not ruined, yet.
    I stay up till around 1 then wonder up into the bed.
    I wake up after having another Chuckie dream and feeling like its Christmas. It's now 3 am. Time to assemble te rub, after I have my coffee.
    So I lay all my fireboard stuff out in neat rows on the table, make sure the battery's charged, etc. I make the rub and just had enough of both coarse pepper (which if I ran out, and if I turned on the grinder, the better half would of killed me, worse than the last black eye she gave me from doing that, lesson learned...the hard way) and ancho powder. Whew just enough. I'll go to Walmart later which will give me a good excuse to try the fire board away from the house.
    so now I'm sitting around waiting for the sun to come up to start.

Here is the dry brine 3 inch thick babies. See how nice and trimmed they were
    ​
    And this is after I patted em down with some love rub
    ​
    Last edited by Nuke em; March 2, 2017, 02:27 AM.

Now for part 2

so I get the smoker rolling, add the water, which,by the way holds, 5 gallons and start the fire up. I get the the fireboard all set up ( which I was pleased that the wifi works so far from its base (the cooker is app 200 ft away On the other side of the the 4 car garage) I get it up to temp and lay my baby chuckies on
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.33 MB ID:	282977
    after everything is humming along I decide to head to Walmart to replace my pepper and ancho powder having confidence that my fireboard will do what it says it can do (I set my probes on 3 racks in the cooking chamber just to see what temp differance they have (one at the top with the chuckies, 1 in the middle and 1 down on the low rack by the water trough. My cambers can hold 9 racks per side.
    I get to Walmart, grab my stuff then decide to browse thru the Bbq side to see what they have going on I pull out the phone and fire up the fireboard app. Bam!! The temps pop up ,everything is working. Wow so cool. I'm watching the app like I'm trying to catch Pokemon or something, bumping into charcoal, grills, old lady's. (Oops, sorry ma'am). Let me put this thing away before I knock over a isle or worse a baby stroller. I get into line and just couldn't resist. I pop open the app again and bam! Temps a dropping, need more wood on the fire. Better hurry and get home. So I pay and rush to get home. I get to the house and stoke the fire and add some more wood.
    When the chuckies hit 160 I wraped in foil and added a little love juice which are the pics below
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.28 MB ID:	282975
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.44 MB ID:	282976
    i noticed a large temp swing from my upper rack down to my lower rack which was around a 20 plus degree differance if not more. Will experiment more with that issue. Could be due to my drip pan (which is a 3 x4 catch pan).
    This pic below is the fireboard app. The first 2 probes says Chuckie 1 and 2. That was a glitch I had because I did not reset those probes after I put the chuckies in the cambro. They should of said upper and middle rack. (More on that later).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	282973
    People that don't know how amazing the fireboard is don't appreciate it (my better half, I show her and she just says hmmm, does this mean the foods ready)? So ungrateful. Can you all see where I did the wrap. It's the large spike drop where I opened the chamber.
    What I like is the time. From starting the fire, warming the water (which took a little) to finish, only 7 hrs 25 mins). Amazing, just amazing

so I decide to faux cambro cooler style em(come to find out a party was planed at the neighbors which I wasn't told about, again) strange, come to think about it, whenever I cook, a neighbor all of a sudden has a party planned. Hmmm...conspiracy I think or coincidence?) anyways here is the chuckies in the cambro thought it was cool to see the temps go down
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	282972
    so I take a shower (the smoke was blowing against me all day long and I was downwind (and a trick I learned from here. Take a shower before you eat or you won't be hungry. That solved my problem from not wanting to eat bbq after you cook it). Took it to my neighbors and waited for more guests to arrive.
    well a new couple moved into the neighborhood and they were invited over and they never had my Bbq that I cook so it was there first time of "real amazing rib" bbq. They were very impressed along with the 20 other people. And now the finished product
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	282974
    Such a purdy smoke ring.
    no sauce needed. Even some of the younger kids loved it. Lots of children don't like heat in the food cause the taste buds are so "new" but a 5,7,9 year old loved it. This is just one of the chuckies
    all in all good beer, good friends and good food is the only way to spend a saturday.
    Now for another cook
    I just love chuckies...

Last edited by Nuke em; March 2, 2017, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like some fine chuck, with lots of witnesses!!!
      Beautiful job, thanks fer sharin' th' story with us!
      Smoke On!!!

Excellent job Nuke em

Comment

Beautiful!...its just hard to beat a good chuckie

Comment

Thanks for such a thorough and fun-to-read writeup, Nuke em . I bet you made a lot of smoked chuckie converts at that party.

Kathryn

Comment

inspirational words! now i've got an itch...

Comment

Very well done.

Comment

You tell a story well, Nuke em !

Comment

• Nuke em
                Nuke em commented
                Editing a comment
                That's my story and I'm sticking to it. With pics to prove

Chuck, in the $3-4 buckapound range, you may be Messi g w a $12 piece of meat there. Another option is to try it. Eat it. Cuba chink off. Tear a few off. Cut it in half. Then you can always still wrap in whatever wrap suits, and still fc. It's not like it's going to ruin the final product (pulled chuckie??).

And, many of us may be guilty of it already, ripping off chunks of stuff and shoveling it down before the cooker lid is closed.

Nuke em Dont be discouraged, fine chuck awaits you.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome Pic!!! Gittin' hungry 'round here, now!!!

Also, I've mentioned in the past, I do t see/look for or have access to a lot of Angus (let alone Kobe, good Lord ). But, I have gotten 3 separate chuckie's from Walmart (2 each time) that were angus and they were all superb. I've never really been able to weigh in in the grades of meat discussions bc I pretty much only get choice at the joints I frequent. Then occasionally angus and it may just be coincidence but those were all phenomenal, where other non angus also from Walmart were very good (it IS a chuckie) just not AS good.

Comment

Nuke em that was a fun read! Thanks for sharing and glad you liked those chuckies

Comment

David Parrish , I've done em before, but with a lil thing called winter, I've been sinin a lil and not cooking as much (already have my fat belly stocked up for it). With the nice weekend we had, I was itching to get one in on that cooker. Been only using my gassers a couple times a week. So it was good to get outside and play with fire again. I noticed in the video, that not to much rub was used. I on the other hand, I put it to em. I like a heavy rub especially when they are thick hunks of meat. It was a very inspirational and informative, well done video. Thank you for making me get off my butt and getting to cooking again. Keep up the great work.

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will do, Sir. In fact, we just posted another vid!

I saw it. Just so happens that I have a few sitting around just waiting

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here