Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Aging Temperature Scare - To Cook It or Not To Cook It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Aging Temperature Scare - To Cook It or Not To Cook It

So - I've been wet aging a brisket in my spare fridge. I checked the temp originally when I placed the brisket in the spare fridge and it was 38 degrees; brisket has been in there for a little over three weeks (24 days). I did take the brisket out a week ago to dry brine it with Morton Kosher salt; I then re-vacuum-sealed it using a FoodSaver and put it back in the spare fridge. I didn't check the fridge temperature again until today.

I got my new FireBoard today and was eager to test it - so I checked the temp in the spare fridge and the temp read 42. I switched the channels on the probes and checked a freezer temp to make sure I wasn't getting a false reading - I used a Thermapen as well, so I'm pretty sure that the temp is accurate - unfortunately. I've moved the brisket to the "main fridge" where the temp is 38.

I don't know how long the brisket was above 40. It could be as long as 2+ weeks. So - the question I have is - should I throw out this brisket or can I cook it? Will a low-and-slow cook kill any bacteria that may have grown/multiplied in the meat? Will the brining process kill bacteria so the meat is safe to cook? Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom of this esteemed group!

Tags: Wet-age; Wet-aging; bacteria growth; safe cooking; brine

I'd consider it a $50 lesson in making sure of the temperature, toss it and live to wet age another one. My $0.02.

Comment

Dump it. Its probably okay, but NOT worth the risk. I had one go bad too. It sucks to let it go but at the same time you don't have to worry. Especially if you are feeding other people.

Comment

Open the package and smell it. You'll know. I'll bet it's fine.

Comment

The first thing I'd do is get the temp down in that fridge to 34 degrees.

Comment

The dry brine may have saved you. Thats how they use to preserve food before refrigeration. Now they used a lot more salt (or they brined them) back then, Being in the vacuum bag may have helped as well so I would open it up and smell it. You will know instantly if its gone bad! is it still sealed tight? if there are pockets of air where there use to be none yep its bad. good luck

Comment

Cook it and serve it to your Mother-in-Law. If she survives, you can eat it as leftovers.

Comment

Knowing me with every bite I would be wondering if I was going to get sick or not and how sever the "green apple quick steps" would be. Therefore I would call it a day and toss it.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I decided, better safe than sorry after getting feedback here and doing more research on pathogenic vs spoilage bacteria. Just not worth it either way. Thanks.

But I did go get two more packers - on to do tomorrow without wet aging and another to keep for a month or so... Gonna try the new FireBoard on a salmon cook tonight.

Comment

SoCalSurfin you won't remember throwing out a packer (especially if you went and got reinforcements) but you would remember food poisoning. It's a big boy decision to toss it, especially given the prep and tlc to date.

Good for you, I hope I would do the same.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've had to do it once. It was a lesson that stuck to my ribs.

Good move man. As Notavegan said. You will forget throwing out the brisket, you wouldn't forget getting someone sick. it probably would have been fine, but its not worth it. You made the right decision. On to the next cook!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here