Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choice vs Prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice vs Prime

I'm debating about trying some Choice briskets and was wondering what you guys thought about the difference between them and Prime.

Welcome to the Pit wesbh89 ...👍

Choice is very good... Prime is noticely better!🤙

Prime has more fat... fat is flavor.😎
    Last edited by Breadhead; February 20, 2017, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Welcome wesbh89

Comment

I've only one one prime and it was not my best brisket. I think brisket if dry brined and treated right had be damn good choice.

Comment

In my experience, Prime is quite a bit better. I only have Prime packers where I live. But the select flats I've cooked are noticeably poorer in quality, when compared with separated Prime flats.

Comment

Whichever you choose, take a look at the pit for advice on cooking times and temps. The Prime beef cooks to a lower internal (195) temp for pulling and the stall can be shorter. The nice thing about the pit and all of the new technology that is being used is that the folks here do a good job of articulating the difference in times and temps between the two grades. Obviously the size of the brisket, brining and wrapping will all have effects on the cook but pulling at the right time and temp are equally important. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...age2?pp=269841 https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-brisket/page2

Comment

It isn't always the fat with the prime but rather the connective tissue or lack thereof. The prime flats that I've seen here didn't have anymore fat than the Choice, but they were definitely more tender straight out the package. Talk about some flexible suckers.

Comment

You've gotten some really good answers already ... so I'll just say welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Nebraska! Nothing but choice here on brisket to purchase.

Comment

I'd buy Prime if you can get it and afford it. But if not, I wouldn't hesitate to use Choice. I've used both and have been plenty happy. In fact, with a generous fat cap even a plain Choice flat by itself is darn good, nearly indistinguishable from the Prime flats I've done. What I do not personally think is worth the upcharge is Wagyu.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
                      Shane Rakow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      100% agreed on the Wagyu.

• BBQbot
                      BBQbot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee, totally agree on Wagyu. Every Wagyu brisket I've had from Snake River Farms though has been better than any prime briskets I've had, but you pay the price. When you really want to splurge, go Wagyu gold from SRF, it's incredible.

wesbh89 If its your 1st try or beginning stages, I would go with choice, unless prime is comparable in price. When done right, it's heaven on earth. When any/many variables go wrong, it can be frustrating and feel frustrating. I would suggest choice, reps, and saving prime for when you hit the sweet spot.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like that advice (having never had access to prime). And then, someday you get a prime and a whole new adventure!

Welcome from upstate New York

Comment

Welcome wesbh89! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I typically always buy Prime. For me, I have noticed a firmness difference out of the package as Jerod Broussard mentioned. Also, if Costco keeps it up, I will always buy Prime. By me, they have Prime for $2.99/lb and Choice for $4.39/lb. It doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll go with it!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I don't have access to reasonably priced prime brisket, so I can't comment on your question.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here