Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First hand at dry aging!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First hand at dry aging!

UMAi bags worked perfectly. 35 days ago dropped in a 13 pound Strip Loin from Sam's. Tonight it ended in bliss. In all my 54 years I have never even eaten a single piece of dry aged beef that I know of. Didn't know if I would even like it really cuse my gag reflex and all... Going to be hard to turn back now! The whole process was fantastic. Reverse seared pure bliss. Even the Wifey liked it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3020.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	277599Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3032.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	277600Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3035.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	277601Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3039.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	277602Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3041.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	277603Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	277604

Incredible!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great job!

The dry-age flavor is so not for me.

Glad you liked it!

Comment

I'm with ya Brotha Broussard. I spent my life bathing in aircraft grease and jet fuel for a rinse. But I can't handle odors. If I come home and my little Yorkie put a small poop in the house then I'll just gag, go back into the garage and wait an hour till the wife gets home. Sorry!! But I know there are some of you guys just like me!

But this was dang good! No odors what so ever. Then flavor was more pronounced beef I would describe but I'm new to this. Possibly I'll go longer next time and test my limits.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't pick up any odors. My taste buds picked it up and rejected it like Ginger and Rosemary. More of an unattractive after taste. I can take odors; dead rat pick up in the attic, steaming pile of dog poop, etc...

lonnie mac this was same-same fer me with my recent chuckie cook. Very different than store-boughten beef, this ~30 day dry aged stuff.
          Incredibly delicious, have more comin', (Best of all? FREE)
          Gorgeous pics, an' food!!! Thanks so much fer sharin'!!!!
          Ride On, Brother!!!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 19, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Lonnie Mac - Love the photos and the description. Good job! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Yes, thanks for that. It looks gorgeous! I've had a few pieces but only on the order of 28 days - loved it but wished for more aging to try. And I have a sensitive nose too.

Comment

Looks amazing! I enjoy dry aging beef, have a choice ribeye in the fridge now. My wife cannot handle the sight or smell (extra fridge in the garage is my salvation) But she does enjoy eating the steaks! Carry on-great way to enjoy beef.

Comment

Beautifully done! Most accounts I've read say that you get the increased tenderness and "beefy" flavor from dry aging beef in the 28-35 day ballpark. Much beyond that and the "funky flavors", that some like & some don't, start to come into play. That might take some getting used to. Kinda like the Europeans hanging an undressed & unplucked pheasant for 2-4 weeks before cooking. Personally, I'll just stick with tender & beefy.

Comment

So, for most folks who enjoy the funk, 45-55 days is about the point where further aging doesn't improve the flavor. For folks who aren't into the funk at all 28 days seems to be the consensus for a change. Not many of the flavor changes, it's more tenderness and concentration of the beef flavor there.

Personally, 45 is about where I find the dry age flavor I like in the home kit. 55 is a restaurant pleasure.

Comment

I just started some NY strip in my Steakager! Its a small unit so I had to cut the meat in half so I'm gonna do one for 28 days and (try ) to let the 2nd piece go 50 days! (Although in my research I hear meat tends to Age faster, Due to the 2 fans forcing air around the small contained area in the steakager) Wondering about the Cheese and nutty flavors or smell I hear tale of.

OOH you grilled the meat perfectly!! YUM! Looks wonderful!! Very nice

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That might explain my results. Not terribly cold spare fridge might also.

• GadjetGriller
                        GadjetGriller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Potkettleblack I just saw your 45 days as the time you like to age to. I may shorten mine to 45 instead of 50.

So, these bags are permeable to moisture?

Comment

Willy As I understand it they are one way (the Umai bags) they will let moisture out but not let air or moisture back in. I looked at those but I didn't have a manual vacuum sealer (mine has a trigger once the bag is inserted a certain distance wouldnt work for those bags)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here