Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yeehaw!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeehaw!!

The Y Chromosome found a whole brisket marked down and grabbed one. there is now 11 pounds being corned in y second fridge. I foresee corned beef dinners and PLENTY of Waffle Reubens!!

No pastrami!!??

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not really a pastrami fan, TBH. that's just me.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah well, you can take the horse to the water (and he'll make corned beef), but you can't make him drink (and make the pastrami)!

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      oh, I've made it, just not my favorite use of this meat.

Reuben tip from David Rosengarten: Shingle your thinly sliced corned beef or pastrami (preferable--LOL) on a plate. Make the stack the size of a slice of the bread you'll be using, then top with sauerkraut. Top that with a slice or two of cheese. With a spatula, transfer that to a steamer and steam, covered, for several minutes. While that is steaming, prepare the bread (toasted if you wish) with mustard, 1,000 island, etc. With a spatula, transfer the hot meat mess onto a slice of prepared bread, top with the other slice and steam that for a minute or so. Chow down.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And if you can do it, use homemade sauerkraut!

I use corned beef and it is shredded or pulled the way the BBQ is, then, I cut it across the grain. I drain and press the moisture from the kraut.

Waffle Iron plugged in and brought to temp while assembling.

butter is melted and brushed heavily on the outside of the bread. if the meat & kraut have been refrigerated, I microwave it just long enough (20 secs or so) to bring it to just above room tempt. layer meat on one piece of bread, kraut on the other, swiss on top of the meat (which is usually harder to keep together) and the the kraut piece flipped and added. this is all built ON a spatula large enough to support the entire sandwich.

Brush extra butter onto both plates of waffle iron. quickly put sandwich on waffle iron & close, pressing as the sandwich is pressed until you can latch.

when done, the sandwich will be yummy crispy on the outside, you'll have lovely, gooey, caramelized cheese oozing out.

Open and remove sandwich, cut, dip in mustard or salad dressing as you go.

that's my Reuben game plan. I don't own a panini thingy, I have far too small a kitchen for unitaskers.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      My version is "low fat". LOL

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds wicked good!

CRUD! Now I want some corned beef and we JUST put it in the fridge! may have to send the Y chromosome shopping.....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Too bad you don't have the smell of pastrami smoking to sooth your nerves.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      well, I'm nudging him out the door. and, we'll be smoking the bacon tomorrow.

"Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinkin'"
    (Sorry, 'twas a song thing from childhood. Me Folks was keen on rememberin' from th' Great Depression.)
    Loves me a Reuben sammich; quite easily one o' th most game-changin' culinary experiences in this life, thus far!
    Think food-gasm! ;-)

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used the **gasm word for years to explain how good some foods taste. Glad to see I'm not alone!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy I agree: sometimes it's th' only word that suffices... It's jus' that dang good!!!

A great Reuben is probably my favorite sandwich. I have had great ones and fair ones with a lot of in between. To me it is the balance of all of the ingredients and then the perfect grill on the bread that makes the real difference between OK and great.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree completely. I'm seeing some homemade pastrami and sauerkraut in my future. Where's the cabbidge?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here