Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top round roast, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top round roast, suggestions?

I have a close to 5 pound top round roast that I picked up for next to nothing. I'm going to be firing up the PBC tomorrow for some loin back ribs and was thinking I'd use the hinged grate and throw this roast on the grate and hang the ribs. Anyone ever smoke a top round? Leaner than chuck of course, was thinking I'd let it roll awhile before the ribs go on. Any suggestions for what temp to bring it to? Should I pull it at a low temp and slice it or is it something I could leave on to around 200 and shred it? It's USDA Choice if that helps.

Is that the same thing as an eye of round?

Comment

• AdamJG
      AdamJG commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not entirely sure. I just bought it bc it was big, seemed decently marbled and was cheap.

Similar to the eye in any case. Sous vide would be ideal, followed by an ice bath and a few hours smoke. Barring that, I'd put it in and pull it at rare or medium-rare (133-135), depending on your family's tastes. It'll still benefit from the smoke.

Comment

Make beef jerky out of it

Comment

Here's an excerpt from a Cook's Country recipe. They roasted it in a oven set at 225 until the IT hit about 125 and thin sliced it. Takes about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. Note that they tied it to create a uniform shape.

"Ingredients: The Right Roast

This recipe uses a top round roast, an inexpensive cut from the rump of the steer that’s most commonly roasted and sliced for deli sandwiches. Since this cut is irregular, we tie it with kitchen twine to create a uniform shape that will cook evenly. And because it’s relatively lean, we sear the roast quickly on the stove top to build flavor before roasting it slowly so that it doesn’t overcook and dry out."

I wouldn't cook it above 135 as it will start to dry out and toughen up.

Good luck! --Ed

Comment

I have done a couple on the PBC. Rubbed with BBBR and took to 125 as I like it slightly over rare and the carry over cooking brings it closer to medium rare.. Slice really thin as it is a fairly tough cut, hence the price. Great on sandwiches and super for hot beef sandwiches.

Comment

Sounds like I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              AdamJG check out Baltimore pit beef in the tested recipes section

• PBCDad
              PBCDad commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with @Steve_B, I cooked one and used half for Baltimore Pit Beef, the other half for Italian Beef sammies. Kind of hard to do the broth in the PBC, but probably wouldn't be too different to just put the broth on the grate after the beef was done. No drippings, but will still turn out well.

I would cook low and slow to 160-170 then foil with some broth and take to probe tender at 195-200. Slice or shred for sandwiches or ??. This would be an option instead of cooking rare to med rare. Have fun!

Comment

A little smoke, a little SV, some sourdough, a little horsey and a bucket of au jus. Yep that's what you need.

Comment

Make some Baltimore Pit Beef with it. You will love it!

Comment

That's defiantly a rare only cut. Dry brine at lest 24 hours. 125 is a good temp. Mrs O'Leary's cow rub or something similar. It's not going to work as a long cook, there's just no connective tissue to break down. Beef jerky is a good idea. It helps to eat quickly while hot and slice as thin as you possibly can. Even sous vide it will still be tough. It's cheap for a reason.

Comment

• Mikey C
                    Mikey C commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've done that cut in a SV for 22 hrs med-med rare not tough at all

Sous vide isn't going to be an option, I don't have the hardware (yet). I'll take a look at the pit beef recipe otherwise I'll go med rare and slice it thin. Horseradish sounds like a good match Mikey C .

Comment

• PBCDad
                    PBCDad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think that is the Pit Beef recipe in a nutshell

• Michael Brinton
                    Michael Brinton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Horseradish, that does sound good. Be sure to do the dry brining step it will make all the difference. The longer the better.

That is the cut (top round) that companies like Boar's Head use to make that expensive sliced roast beef that everyone buys in half pound or whole pound quantities for sandwich meat. Keep it rare and slice against the grain to make your own sandwich meat or use the recipes for pit beef or Italian beef. Excellent flavor, and done right makes great eats.

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

Let this roll on the grate for about 3 hours to IT 130 then pulled, foiled and let rest/carry over to about 135. Not bad for an 8 dollar piece of meat. Served on kaiser rolls sliced thin with some horseradish mayo. Next time I'll pull it at about 127, the center was delicious but outside a bit too done for my taste. Made some killer pit beef sandwiches though! Thanks all for the suggestion.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Also, used magnets to cover the rebar holes and used the center vent I put on my lid to run the temp at about 235-250 on the PBC. Took the roast up slow and injected with Butcher BBQ prime brisket injection. Overall pretty happy for a first go at something like that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here