Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angus chuck roast and chuck arm roast on BGE (in the snow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angus chuck roast and chuck arm roast on BGE (in the snow)

Thank you out forum for my new chuck "jones". 2nd weekend in a row, this time I smartened up and did two. I'll learn the difference.

Fired up the egg early and it was hot w clean burning lump and meat on at 8:30.

I put pics in of meat labels so people can compare what they may see in their stores. This one Walmart western ma.

So so the flame is so is set to 250 and the snow is now raging out there. I don't have to go out u til meat is at desired IT. Flame boss has it under control but I also have been wanting to use my cast iron Dutch oven.

So i bumped the egg up to 300 (from my couch, thank you flame boss) and will get it to or through the stall in the egg, then I'm going to transfer it inside to a waiting hot DO with a waiting base of carrots and onions. Just to use the veggies as an elevator, and I don't care if carrots get sacrificed. Stock, wine whatever and then add real veggies to be eaten about an hour before eating time.

So in thinking maybe 4 hrs or so in the egg, and maybe another 3 in the DO. Drippings from egg will be added.

Thoughts on that snow audible?
    Attached Files

Made a chuck roast as a pot roast in the the DO yesterday (in the kitchen oven). Came out awesome.

Comment

Nice ed. This is all prety much my first time everything g w pot roast making it myself. My mother made it growing up and it was vg. So we'll see how this turns out. Junk it's through the stall now but still I'm in no hurry to get it out of the egg. They are doing fine in there and even when I do get it in the DO I won't be in a hurry. Dinnertime is still 6+ hrs away and the meat is 169. I'm in good shape to let everything sit nice nice for a long time. It's snowin. Like crazy, a-gain and I'd like to say I planned a rock star comfort food meal and be all New England-y but I just didn't feel like doing it yesterday and didn't think the weathermen would be right two times in a row.

Comment

I'm just impressed with the snow. 81 here today. We haven't had but one "hard freeze" and because of that the mosquitoes have been ridiculous already. Hello early West Nile season I guess.

Comment

Looks Great!!!
          Keep warm, send more pics lol!!!

Comment

Mr Bones, pics a comin!! I don't know how to get usernames highlighted or pinned or whatever it's called. You would think I'm 107 yrs old For what I know about social media. But I'm happy to call out fellow users I just don't know how to.

Back to the cow.

Did i mention i I love chuck now?

Carrots and onions started to roast in the Dutch oven so I got the meat off the egg. Bc there are two pieces my son and I helped ourselves to some of the best meat I've ever had. Tons of. Ft and collagen and flavor and beef pans bark from the cook on the egg. Lesson learned there. Yes low and slow. But I just did a "turbo" version of a chuckie at 300 degrees, and it is awesome. Final done temp ranges from 180 on the coolest spot of the chuck arm to 195 on the other.

I didnt eat any if the chuck arm yet. Too busy shoveling the other one down the hatch.

Serious bark bark on these pieces. I don't care how Lin. It sits in the DO. Kind of an experiment. I lalewady learned today what 300 on chuck will do. I have NO problem serving that up as fancy food to company.

Wanna do a blind taste test? One of those chunks I'm holding in the pics against what? Brisket? I'll do that test. Ribeye? I'll do that too. Tenderloin? Sure.

This stuff is top notch.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol, I didn't know how, or wth th' lil' @ were for, either... I don't have any social media experience, either... it's quite easy, actually. Type Notavegan , leaving a space after. Or Mr. Bones .

Forgot the pics
            Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks fantastic!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like some Incred-O-Chuck, t' me!!!
              Dang, Son!!! Ya' nailed it!!! Great Cook, an' Great Pics, as well! Thanks fer sharin' tips, techniques, etc.!!!
              Much appreciated!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Let"s go!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Notavegan View Post
            ...I don't know how to get usernames highlighted or pinned or whatever it's called. You would think I'm 107 yrs old For what I know about social media. But I'm happy to call out fellow users I just don't know how to...
            Here's a great post that should help you: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/node/273767

Wow that's a lot of snow! Can't wait to hear about and see them chuckies later today.

Comment

180-195 is just the "seat" temp that came from the egg. Now it's going to gurgle in a bath in the DO

im downright giddy waiting to add the veggies and shrooms.

Comment

#fuzzydaddy , many thanks.

Comment

fuzzydaddy many thanks.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You got it working!

Oh yeah, Chuck roast! Here's some ideas you might want to add to the mix next time: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/f...beef-stew.html

The anchovie/garlic/tomato paste/soy sauce "umami" bit, along with cooking down some decent red wine, are really good enhancements.

The really cool thing about a kamado is that anything you can do in an oven, you can do in it, except with better temp control and smoke flavor!

Beautiful results you got there!
                  Last edited by EdF; February 12, 2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I out a spoon in to stir it and take a look as I had not peeked only to add veggies. a big hunk of meat came up w the spoon. You can see it on top.

Angus chuck roast was superb.
                      Chuck arm was a bit different but also great. Loved em both.

5 hrs 300 on the egg
                      then in a Dutch oven 300 in top of onions and carrots.
                      Veggie stock no sodium - the gravy and jus was pa-lefty beefy. I like the idea of not adding beef to my beef.

Meat cooked for 3.5 hrs total
                      veggies added on top last 90 mins
                      small amount of corn starch and vgggie stock into gravy and it was on.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks delicious, already!!! I can only imagine how good it tastes!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here