Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sliced Chucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliced Chucky

I'm pretty excited about my first Chuck Roast cook! We served it pulled and piled it up on the plate like we knew what we were doing. And it was dang good! I've been calling it poor Man's Brisket. Which got me thinking about slicing it next time. Have any of you Chucky maniacs served it like that? I would love the benefit of your experience.

Yes, it's outstanding. Personally, I prefer to cook it much like a butt and pull it, like you just did. Seriously, I get a terrible craving just thinking about it.

Comment

I did 1 a few months ago. I took it up to 195 before I cambro'd and sliced. Click image for larger version

Name:	20161022_192217.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	272840

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        edible hen that looks fantastic!!!

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice at 1st glance I would have thought that was a Brisket! Great smoke ring juicy looking meat Very well done (the Cook not the meat)

I plan to sous vide and grill and slice one day.

Comment

I've been wondering this same question PJBowmaster. The wife got me a fancy meat slicer for my bday. Now all I can think about is what I can make to use it. Bacon and jerky come to mind first!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Pastrami!

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Wait! What slicer are you fellas talking about?

• Northside Brian
          Northside Brian commented
          Editing a comment
          porchetta sliced super thin and piled high on a hard roll

I have never served it sliced before. I always pull it and mix it with a BBQ sauce. Especially if I am buying one that is of a lower grade.
        Last edited by Spinaker; February 9, 2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Texas style smoke roasted Chuck Roast. This is my second attempt. Last time we pulled, this time we sliced. Here are the vitals:

Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault gasser.
          Dry brined for 12 hours.
          Rubbed with Big Bad Beef Rub just before going in the pit.
          Used only 6 oz of apple chips total.
          Cooked at 235 f for a total of 9 hours.
          Did a late crutch at the 7.5 hr mark. Meat was at about 169 f.
          When the internal temp reached 209 f we took it off the pit.
          Let it rest in faux cambro for one hour.
          Sliced and served with taters & onions, salad.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PJBowmaster; February 20, 2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! You did forget to describe the beer, though.

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks wonderful!! All the fixings look dang good too! Man I got to stop checking in at lunch time!! That meat it is just the way I like it almost to tender to slice just melts in your mouth!! Well done

I will say that we like our Chuckie sliced rather than pulled. It really is poor man's Brisket...

Comment

Now that is what I am talking about!!

Comment

PJBowmaster
              Looks fabulous, from start t' finish!!!
              Thanks fer th' detailed explanation!
              What kinda brew ya' got goin' there?

Comment

• PJBowmaster
                PJBowmaster commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a little Blonde Ale I threw together last fall. It's been cold conditioning for about 3 months. It's an easy drinker. And about the only beer I have on tap at the moment....LOL

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweet! PJBrewmaster er PJBowmaster ...
                Thanks fer th' reply!!!

• PJBowmaster
                PJBowmaster commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL....I'm a much better Brewer than Archer that's for sure.

Beautiful!

Comment

It's not bad cutting into squares and serving. Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-19 20.27.03.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	278230 it eats the same. It makes it easier to appreciate on its own sliced to shape. If you're going to add a sauce, or some cheese, pulling is better. Smoked chuck is the most versatile bbq cut. Imagination is the limit.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
                  PJBowmaster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with you.

As a follow-up to Michael Brinton We have been cooking Chuck Roast in the oven for years and usually serve it in chunks. The reason I got interested in slicing it like brisket was two fold. First, I was fascinated by the idea that I could have a lower cost alternative to brisket with a similar flavor profile. Second, I wondered if slicing against the grain would make for a better, more tender bite. I think the jury is still out on that....need to sharpen my knives and try again. LOL

Comment

The sous vide method, follow by smoke to get a bark may slice the way your looking for.It stays together better for slicing.
                  Last edited by Michael Brinton; February 20, 2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I did a shoulder clod once along with italian sausages with the idea of chicago style beef and sausage unfortunately the beef wasn't done as soon as the sausages and hungry heathens ate them before I could try a "combo"
                    sorry no photos still trying to figure this interweb thingy out!

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like an experiment worth trying again!

• bardsleyque
                      bardsleyque commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will try this again with better planning and more sausage!
                      I'll put something up when I do.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here