Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Heart Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Heart Jerky

Question for all you jerky makers out there.
    I just finished talking to a friend from Australia who just finished a batch of beef heart jerky.
    He says it makes the best jerky he's ever eaten.
    I have to agree with him that the heart SEEMs to be a perfect choice for jerky but I've never tried it or even heard of it.
    Anyone ever used it for jerky?

I make jerky using top round roast. I would have to taste someone else's heart jerky because I would never buy it myself. Gross!

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I do like heart. Cannot do tongue. Just something about the thought that keeps me from liking it even thought the taste and texture is actually pretty good.

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheef, tongue makes excellent chili. I'm pretty sure that is what is in the Coney Island hot dog chili.

Yea, lean red muscle tissue... really gross.

Comment

I've had grilled lamb heart before and it was very good, it just tasted like lamb. Let us know how the jerky turns out.

Comment

I love animal heart- any kind. Delicious lean red pure muscle meat with a smooth texture. I probably will get around to making beef heart jerky now that the bug has been put in my ear.
        If anyone knows any more about it, I hope you'll post

Comment

Have never 'jerked' beef heart but Peruvian Anticuchos are wonderful.

Comment

For those who want to give it a go here is the recipe he sent me. It will be a while before I get a chance to give it a try.

Beef heart is a superfood that contains excellent amounts of CoQ10 and many other vitamins and nutrients. But it can be tough to get your family to eat it, so whip up a tasty snack where they won't even realize what they're eating. Sneaky, sneaky!

Comment

This should be perfect. All you need is lean meat. And beef heart fits that bill. I would be willing to try this. I would think you'd have to take it easy on the smoke, as the meat is lean and more delicate than the chuck that I usually use.

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois pvtdouglas

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here