Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trader Joe's Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trader Joe's Tri-Tip

So I had heard through the grapevine that Trader Joe's, which is about 20 minutes away in Delaware, carried tri-tip, which is otherwise hard to find. I had found a roast at a boutique butcher for $10.99/lb, which I did once but that's a bit steep for my pocket. TJ's did, in fact, have tri-tip, at $7.99. It's their own packaged, trimmed product. What was interesting is that while it did indicate that it was inspected by the USDA, there was no grade on it. After what Giant went through recently, I was surprised to see this. And I'm certain that it has crossed state lines - probably from California

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894-1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	27008

I thought perhaps that by "trimmed," they meant that they had turned it into a cylindrical roast. But, luckily, after I opened it up, it was a "normal" shaped, 2.67 lb. tri-tip.

Name:	IMG_0896-2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	27009

I mixed a tablespoon of kosher salt, with a tablespoon of coarse black pepper and a tablespoon of granulated garlic, and used all of it to rub on the roast (after spraying with EVOO). Sat in the fridge for about 3 hours.

Name:	IMG_0901-3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	27010

Went on the weber/smokenator with two good size chunks of California Red Oak (gotta be official) at an average of about 250. When it got to 110 in the middle (about 40 minutes), I did some reverse searing, with fairly constant turning, over the smokenator until it hit about 130 - less than 10 minutes later.

Name:	IMG_0902-4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	27011

Sliced at the center to check color, but then sliced across the grain for eating. It had a great oak wood flavor and was as juicy as could be.

Name:	IMG_0904-5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	27012

Sorry for the photos - I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't get full-size photos anymore or why each photo I post in a thread gets progressively smaller.
    Attached Files

That tri-tip looks perfect, Burn. That last photo is really making my mouth water. I don't even mind squinting to see it!

I saw some tri-tips at Trader Joe's a month or so ago but they were all in the freezer section. Is that where you found the one you smoked/reverse seared?

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks, it was tasty.

No, it was in the refrigerated meat section. Nestled in there with various other cuts of beef. Probably wouldn't see it if you aren't specifically looking for it carefully.

Comment

Nice TB! For the photos, are you using the upload attachments icon, then selecting a larger size for the image? Tell us exactly what you're doing.

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, doing like I have always done. Using the upload icon on the right side and selecting either large or full size. The photos are coming over from my iPhone. I have tried sending them at full resolution and then at a smaller size in case the site was resizing them because they were too large. I've taken them native and square shaped. I've left them alone and resized them in Adobe Lightroom. The strangest thing is that each of the photos in a thread is the same size and they get progressively smaller. I can't even post photos in the What are you cooking thread, because they start so small.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          When you say they are coming over from your iPhone, are you posting them with the iPhone using a browser (what browser) or are you transferring the pictures from your iPhone to a computer and the uploading them with your computer (details needed... PC/Mac, OS, browser).

You should not need to resize your photos, but if you're trying to upload the pics with your phone that's likely the problem. After we upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin we're hoping this issue is addressed.

If you are transferring the files to a computer then you shouldn't be having problems and we need to investigate a bit more.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually e-mail them to myself from my iPhone, though I've also recently tried other methods of transferring. I always post from my laptop - MacBook Pro, with the most recent OS X at the time (just upgraded to Yosemite). I use Chrome as my browser. I can't recall if I've tried Safari, though I seldom use it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
      Click here for our review on this unique smoker

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared†Zone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
      Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.