Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket from London (in winter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket from London (in winter)

After the successful drilling of my kettle and installing the DigiQ, I wanted to cook something a little more challenging than a roast pork shoulder.

I've had brisket at a few restuarants in the USA and a few here in London. Most of the big chains in London don't come close to the small shacks in the southern US states for quality - juicyness, flavour, tenderness, etc. So I figured I'd try myself. The first hurdle was finding a decent brisket. The best I managed to find in the end was a Scotch Beef rolled brisket from Costco weighing in at a WHOPPING 2.1kg. After unrolling it, I could see a flat and a point, so I figured I'd be OK. But man, I need a better source of brisket
    I pulled a lot of the membrane off the bottom, and a small amount of fat from the top where it looked a bit thicker than uniform across the rest.
    That was followed with dry brining overnight followed by liberal application of Mephis Dust from this site. Next time I'll try the beef rub, but I nearly always have some Memphis Dust around the place, and I needed feeding, so that's what we went with.
    The BBQ (Weber 57cm kettle with Smokenator and DigiQ DX2) was started at about 08:00 at 250F and the offering was placed within. Kettle temperature went up to 260F at 08:36 at which point I realised that some idiot (me) had left the bottom vents fully open. I closed those, let the DigiQ and the Pit Viper kick in, and by 08:45, we were at 250F. And there we stayed.

According to my Maverick thermometer (I run that so that I can sit inside and panic about temp - it's better than panicing outside in the rain and catching a cold) the temp ranged from about 246F to 253F for the duration of the cook. I think that's more consistent than the last time I measured my cheap oven!
    Meat temperature hit 150F at around 11:30, while the outside temperature was 5C. (My meat thermometers are all in F because that's what most decent BBQ recipes are in. My home thermometer is in C because I'm a civilised human being and I can divide by 10)
    At that point, I removed it from the cooker, wrapped it in a couple of layers of foil, put the temp probe back in and put the meat back in the BBQ.
    Around 14:45, meat temp hit 201F, so it came off and went into the cooler, and I went into the pub. But just for a quick one - meat awaited me at home.
    Around 16:00, temperature was 165F and I 'carved' it.
    There was a decent amount of moisture, overall very tender, and the reviews from victims family were all positive. Most shocking though, I liked it.
    All in all, a good way to waste a Sunday!

Attached Files

Good job! Yes, next time use the BBBR, you'll really like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      Good job! Yes, next time use the BBBR, you'll really like it!
      I most certainly will. Planning to make up a new batch of Dust and that in the coming weeks. Sent the recipe to my old many in SA too, so we'll see how it travels there

Comment

165? why'd you pull it so soon?

nice smoke ring

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouslemming View Post

I most certainly will. Planning to make up a new batch of Dust and that in the coming weeks. Sent the recipe to my old many in SA too, so we'll see how it travels there
          First, that's a good looking brisket. So you sent the recipe to South Africa?? About how much does an elephant brisket weigh?

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
            165? why'd you pull it so soon?

nice smoke ring
            Well, I let it get up to just over 200 in the kettle before coming down in the cooler. I was trying to wait for 140F, but I was really Really REALLY hungry by that point.

And the potatoes were done, so ...

Comment

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              my bad, i read it poorly

Originally posted by RonB View Post

First, that's a good looking brisket. So you sent the recipe to South Africa??
            It is good looking - I just wish it was ... bigger

I sent the Mepmphis Dust and the Big Bad Beef Rub recipes to my dad in RSA. Last time we were out there, we bought him a Weber kettle, but so far he's only used it for grilling. He's expressed a desire to do a slow cook now, so I thought one of these two might help him.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            About how much does an elephant brisket weigh?
            See, that's actually a little concerning now that you mention it. Not too worried about an elephant, but how much rub are you going to need for an entire herd of impala?

I was poorly raised - I grew up knowing which sauce / 'doneness' each animal needed. I only learned the names of said animals as an adult. Up until then, I knew ducks and geese as "orange, but maybe a nice plum'. Warthogs were either 'pigs' or 'slow roasted on the spit, add some cider and a nice apple sauce'. I think most buck were 'Biltong, and a bit of venison for the freezer'. My dad views the world in black and white and shades of carnivorous flavour.

So now I'm worried about what he plans to put in that kettle!

Comment

• Atalanta
              Atalanta commented
              Editing a comment
              I think for the impala, you'd change the measurements to pounds instead of grams for the mix recipes

For the Chevy version, I'd go a different route.

Great looking smoke ring. Next time you might try beginning to check it for probe tender (thermometer prob feeling like it is going into soft butter) at 190. Pull it then.

Comment

Great looking smoke ring and nice product overall.

It is always nice to hear from overseas with the BBQ cult expanding there as well.

Comment

Anonymouslemming Nicely done on th' brisket, Sir!

Glad alla th' new geegaws on yer cooker worked so well, good catch on leavin' th' vents open.

I hope you can find a good source for bigger briskets...

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

You call that "a waste"? You Brits - you have some sense of humour!

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
                      Great looking smoke ring. Next time you might try beginning to check it for probe tender (thermometer prob feeling like it is going into soft butter) at 190. Pull it then.
                      I will do that - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
                        Anonymouslemming Nicely done on th' brisket, Sir!

Glad alla th' new geegaws on yer cooker worked so well, good catch on leavin' th' vents open.

I hope you can find a good source for bigger briskets...
                        There's got to be a source somewhere - I can't see restaurants using ones this small. Butcher options are better outside London, so I'll keep an eye out on my travels.

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post
                          You call that "a waste"? You Brits - you have some sense of humour!
                          Well, if you ask my management, they'd argue that there are far more high priority projects outstanding around the house. But they didn't complain when it was time to eat

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here