Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip for Joey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip for Joey!

I have small family, 4 of us in total and Friday nights we have a family dinner, so add my mom and her husband. My nephew lives in town and I invite him every time. Sometimes he brings his best friend Joey and his girlfriend Dani. They are early 20s and good kids.

This particular Friday, I text my nephew about dinner tonight. He responds, "today is Joey's birthday, let me see what his plans are". Turns out Joey wants to bring his girlfriend to my house for dinner. I was both sad and honored. I dont know what Joey's home life is and I felt bad that he didnt have other plans with friends or family for his birthday. So I was grateful that he wanted to spend time with us. Sometimes I feel that this is how God works in our lives, I didnt want to question it. I was just going to feed these kids the best meal one could get.

Not only did we buy him an ice cream cake. I got him Prime Tri Tip from Costco cause Joey likes BEEF.

Meathead has convinced me that reverse sear is my favorite method of cooking only after I dry brined the meat. The roast wasnt very thick so I dry brined for 2 hours, then added some Holy Cow from bigpoppasmokers. Smoked it with local almond wood on my offset till the internal temp hit 105ish. I wrapped it and kept it warm for about an hour then fired up the ol trusty Weber with lump charcoal. Cooked it till about 135ish, wrapped and let it rest. Now Joey and Dani got there a little late, so the meat was held for about another hour and it seemed to keep cooking cause my finished looked more medium. Either way, the meat was so tender and flavorful that the kids couldnt believe how good it was and they were very grateful. Mission Accomplished.

To see a video of the Weber in action see below.

Not to be overlooked but I also reverse seared some 1" thick pork chops which were also incredible. see highlight pics of this wonderful meal below:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke Tip (2).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	267221Click image for larger version

Name:	RS tip (2).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	267222Click image for larger version

Name:	RS chop (2).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	267223Click image for larger version

Name:	RS Pork Chop.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	267224

Very nice!

Comment

Sure looks tasty! Love that Costco tri-tip. Prime is currently $7 / lb here.

Comment

BBQ - improving the world, as usual!

Comment

Congrats on having some youn people who want to hang with you. And great looking cook too.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Wish Joey a belated Happy Birthday from us crazies at the Pit, To me it sounds like he is a lucky guy to know your nephew and his family!! Good job.

Comment

Good job on Family, Friends, and the Food too!

Comment

That looks delicious. Nice cook!

Comment

Costco giveth and taketh a away. We have Packer Briskets year round but never seen a Tri tip!! I admit I'm a little jealous. Cook looks wonderful and those slices look perfectly cooked to me!!Great job!!

Comment

• sos2979
                      sos2979 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Costco may not have them, but Red Raider Meats does on the Texas Tech campus and they wet age them. I made one a few weeks ago and just bought another yesterday. $5.89/lb.

yes I got one from there a while back (even made a video about it) but for some reason over near the school my phone loses signal and there for the maps wont tell me where to go?? I need to print out the directions cause I drove around out there one day looking for the big Cow but didnt see it

Comment

I asked my Costco in Northern CA for Brisket for years. They said they have no control over what they get. They got them this year and one of the butchers recognized me and said, without solicitation, "You're not the only one who asked about them". So maybe my requests, with others, worked. With this assumption, I would go the the manager and butchers. Make requests and maybe it will work. Don't expect it overnight.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here