Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket

Hey Guys,

Did my first brisket over the weekend and it came out excellent. (Or at least im pretty sure it did as i was 3 sheets to the wind when it was time for slicing).

Only thing i noticed is that at around 170 i checked it and it appeared to be finished ie. probe went in like butter but as a novice i still carried it to 203 because i had lots of time left.

For future reference would you guys think that it was ok to take off and rest at 170? Or the best bet would be to carry it up to 200?

Thanks for any help.

To me, that seems early and probably not hot enough to get all the "magic" done internally (rendering of the connective tissues) While i've never had one finish that low, each hunk of meat is differnt and its all relative. I start checking tenderness and moisture around 190-195 and have pulled them early if i see what i want out of the cook. I take into consideration all the factors going into the event involved. I have had good success by planning on resting the meat as part of the overall time to plate.

Comment

170 seems a little low to be done, unless you had been stalled at that temp for a very LONG time. Not sure I would pull a brisket that low without knowing more. If you pick it up does it feel "loose", etc...?

Comment

it's likely you poked in just the right spot to hit all fat. i wouldn't think 170 would be good enough (unless you are doing pastrami)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here