Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled cheese my way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled cheese my way.

A while back I was lamenting that I could only find corned flats - no points. Several members told me that Walmart carries them, so I checked, they had them and I bought one. I soaked it over night in water to desalinate it, then rubbed it with Meathead's pastrami rub and I smoked it yesterday. It took it about 10 hours at 250* F and then I put it in a 170* F oven for two hours before refrigerating it. Today it spent 4 hours in my "poor man's SV" at about 173* F. It was very tender and very juicy - everyone loved it and I will be doing this again.
    I made a grilled cheese on swirl rye with Swiss cheese and mustard. Somehow it wound up with more pastrami than cheese though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I1095.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	263434

Name:	CM7I1097.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	263435

Name:	CM7I1099.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	263438

Name:	CM7I1100.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	263436

Name:	CM7I1105.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	263437

Nice job

Comment

I think with all this talk, the pastrami bug is about to bite me. Been a few years.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, me too. ive never done one.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF - I think buying a corned flat is the cheapest and easiest way to give this a try. Check your local Walmart to see if they have them in stock.

RonB, you're killing me here. I just had dinner and now I'm starving!!! 😎

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77 - That was my plan.

Beautiful!

Comment

The pastrami looks wonderful and the swirl rye bread pushes it waaay over the top!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Skip - it's the only way to go.

Well I'm still convinced what you are eating is a Melt and not a Grilled Cheese.... lol... the debate continues...

even though I'm not a big pastrami person... it still looks pretty dang tasty. well done!

Comment

Nate - I must confess that I titled this with the grilled cheese purists in mind. I actually agree with you that a grilled cheese is just bread and cheese grilled, but I couldn't resist. With a few grill marks, my sandwich could almost be called a panini too.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol... I wouldn't have ribbed you a little if it wasn't in good fun...

Very nice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here