Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never too cold to BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never too cold to BBQ

-20C/-1F today but not too cold to sear up a sous vide roast. It was tasty but a little chewy, need more time in the sous vide next time 5 hours wasn't enough.
    Attached Files

Nice one, I'm in Calgary, it's miserable out today in Alberta, much respect for getting it done.

Comment

My hat is off to ya! Nothing like being shown up as weenie! I am now fired up & just going to do it tomorrow & it won't be near as cold here (they say 15F) as it is there. Thanks for the fire under my butt.

Comment

I seared my steak tonight on the KEG at 650 F. I wanted that baby HOT! It was -1 F outside. .

Comment

It is nice for some coldness outside down south for a change. I don't have to rush from the fridge to the pit to keep the meat at its coldest, it's colder outside than the fridge.

Comment

The weather lady said -2* F at 8 AM this morning. Getting below 0* F is very rare around here and never when it is light outside. I'm a wimp - no grillin' or smokin' for me when the meat can freeze on the way to the cooker.

Comment

I agree did my pork but Friday night was 3 degrees out when it finished

Comment

-2/-15 F here in Minneapolis!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2017-01-08 09.03.02.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	260971Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2017-01-08 09.02.54.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	260972
                p.s. How do you get that beautiful black crust on brisket?

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Get rid of your water pan. Cook at about 250 F. And let it rip, unwrapped for as long as you can. I go up too 180 F. Then wrap, if at all. Stay warm! It's about -1 out by the Lake, just west of ya. We're in this together!

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's counterintuitive, but low and slow is your friend when it comes to bark. While that meat is struggling to get past the stall, good things are happening with the bark.

• Blowingsmoke
                  Blowingsmoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  right on - thank you for the tips!

I hear ya brother!! Chilly start to my cook as well.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1623.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	261058

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bones! I've got a Pork shoulder on the KEG. I didn't want to run out every 15 mins to feed the KBQ. I also need to get some other stuff done today! Like surfing AR. Mr. Bones

• Blowingsmoke
                  Blowingsmoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where are you in MSP? We're in SLP.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Long Lake Blowingsmoke

Best part of a roast beef dinner is the sandwiches the next day.

Comment

Very nice dajoker. We did a little venison and antelope: some round, some loin. Wonderful. 3F here. Someone on here recommended a welding blanket, which I think really helps a lot. I also used a hover grill just above the main coal grate on a Weber. Quick sear on both sides and serve: ended up medium rare, sorry I didn't have a probe on me; probably had about 4 minutes per side. That's what happens when word gets around your Q is pretty good: "hey! wanna quick grill this?" "No, it's damn cold and I have a short sleeved shirt on." But of course since they put in the effort to harvest the meat, I feel at least I can cook some Q for them. I should go look to see if there're tried and true recipes out here.
                  Last edited by emil.glatz; January 8, 2017, 07:55 PM. Reason: Engrish bad.

Comment

You guys are my heros. My all time low is only 17F.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here