Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri tip grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri tip grain

Check out this Wagyu trip tip! Notice the grain goes in one single direction, this is kinda unusual.

This will be Thursday's dinner. It was trimmed & salted this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wagyutritip1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	259363

Name:	wagyutritip2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	259364

Now notice this tri-tip's grain. This is more normal. This post is meant to show you how it might not always be the same. Watch for the grain before cooking so you can slice it the best way! (The pic below is not mine, it's from Google, but the red slice marks are mine)

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	259365Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed(1).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	259366

Let's see your trip tip pics, so we can get a nice collaboration of grain pics. Uncooked for educational purposes. Cooked for drooling purposes.

Looks tasty. Here are some pics from my last Trip-Tip Cook, a while back. Yet doesn't really help in this instance. Mine looks a bit different. These are old, pretty amateurish pics.

Name:	image_4240.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	259394Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4231.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	259395

Comment

Spinaker, Huskee, Spin you are Unlikeable? Huskee is Likeable on My iPad? Just a comment on Tri-Tip Roasts, 40 Years Ago in Mom & Dad's Meat Mkt they were Called Hamburger! Thought You should know!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! First Tri-Tip I cooked was in California. Still don't see them in Arkansas much.

Beautiful Tri Tip!

Comment

Huskee - that is a fantastic looking cut of meat. I have never seen a tri-tip like than, not just due to the grain and marbling (due to being Waygu) but also by the way it is shaped. How do you plan on cooking it? Make sure you follow up with a review and photos.

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
          Huskee - that is a fantastic looking cut of meat. I have never seen a tri-tip like than, not just due to the grain and marbling (due to being Waygu) but also by the way it is shaped. How do you plan on cooking it? Make sure you follow up with a review and photos.
          Thank you! A slow reverse sear with a little post oak. Not sure if I'll use Cow Crust or BBBR, my wife gets to decide that.

It doesn't really look like a tri tip does it? Other than the general triangle shape. But boy it is nicely marbled. It will go nicely with board sauce, garlic-sauteed broccoli and garlic bread.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like the bottom portion of a tri-tip that was then butterflied. It is magnificent looking. I have never had Waygu beef. I think I wouldn't even use my normal rub on that, just salt and pepper. Having cooked thousands of tri-tips I can't get over how good looking that is.

That marbling is outrageous, gonna be a tasty clod of cow!

Comment

good looking tri tip. here is my last waygu tri tip Click image for larger version

Name:	Waygu Tri Tip.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	259880

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              When I saw your slices from that cut posted I was floored. Hey, I never heard back from you about whether you are still looking for a big smoker. I have two smokers from California Custom Smokers in Visalia. I could not be happier. PM me on the site and I can get you in touch with the owner.

So here's last night's dinner (non-educational, just drool pics)

Name:	image_31863.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	260111

Click image for larger version  Name:	wagyutritip4.JPG Views:	1 Size:	153.6 KB ID:	260112

Notes from this cook:

I took this to 134 in the coolest spots of the thick piece, and I actually liked the more medium doneness of the thinner parts and ends. For me, I think Wagyu benefits from a little more doneness. With all the fat/marbling inside, it'd be hard to overcook this grade of beef but I think easy to undercook it.

I began searing at 115. After searing both sides and the ends it only rose to 117. YIKES! So it got more indirect treatment after that. Usually on thick roasts I don't start the sear until about 125, I didn't think this would be so slow being thinner. Lesson learned, but zero harm done.

Beef, Cow Crust and oak is yummy.

My son made us an omelet this morning using thinly sliced leftover tri tip, herbs and shredded cheddar. Killer!

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful.

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks fantastic! I agree that Wagyu or fattier beef in general is definitely better taken a few degrees past where you normally like steaks or roasts. We did some Wagyu rib eyes last year and I took them to full on medium due to the fat content. They were out of this world.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Very impressive, and I learned something from you commentary.

Definitely drooling!

Comment

Yo da man dude...looks great!

Comment

Very Nice looking tri tip. Good Job!!

Comment

Here is the tri tip I'll be cooking on Sunday. A more typical grain pattern.

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	260368

Comment

What time will it be ready?

Comment

Everybody said what could be said of the meat, and rightly so. So, I like what you did with the Brussels sprouts, nice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here