Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Roast

I'm going to be cooking a 4 bone rib roast tomorrow. I have a recipe from Chile Pepper magazine that I plan on following but I'm open for other ideas too. This is my first one and I'll be cooking it on the green Egg. Any help would be appreciated.

There is a metric ton of thoughts and advice on this site particularly since right before Christmas concerning rib roasts. I would recommend that you go to today's posts and go from there. Hope this helps.

Comment

Cut the bones off the roast. They promote uneven cooking and hot spots. Remove the bones, and try to make the roast as cylindrical as possible so the roast cooks evenly. tie with butcher twine to force it to keep the round shape. If you have a way to cook it elevated up in the dome, that is best. Otherwise use the grate and heat diffuser.

Reverse sear it and you'll be good to go. Slow cook till 110 F and then pull it from the heat to get the fire up too searing temps and let it rip on the open fire until 125 F internal and rest for a 10 mins or not at all. Just my abbreviated two cents.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You got it. Let us know how it goes my friend. BBQPaddy

• BBQPaddy
        BBQPaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        It turned out great! I had a rub that I got from Chile Pepper magazine that set if off really well. I'll definitely be doing this again.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool!! Im glad it worked out!! BBQPaddy

Follow Meathead's recipe herein: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...rib_roast.html

I did ours indoors (bad weather), but did finish it on my Weber gasser on the flat side of GrillGrates. Bee-you--tee--ous deep pink from bumper to bumper. Mine did take an hour or so longer than the time estimate in the recipe and I only seared for about three minutes per side--only two sides cuz I couldn't coax the son of a gun into a round cylinder no matter how tight I pulled on the string. Still had a great crust and virtually no gray band.

You won't be sorry you cooked it this way!!

BTW, this is pretty much the way Spinaker (above) recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
        Follow Meathead's recipe herein: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...rib_roast.html

I did ours indoors (bad weather), but did finish it on my Weber gasser on the flat side of GrillGrates. Bee-you--tee--ous deep pink from bumper to bumper. Mine did take an hour or so longer than the time estimate in the recipe and I only seared for about three minutes per side--only two sides cuz I couldn't coax the son of a gun into a round cylinder no matter how tight I pulled on the string. Still had a great crust and virtually no gray band.

You won't be sorry you cooked it this way!!

BTW, this is pretty much the way Spinaker (above) recommended.
        +1

i did this Christmas Eve. Slow cooked 225 on a kettle with sns with no smoke to 115, then seared on a blazing hot BGE. It was 135 after searing.

Attached Files

Comment

That looks as good as it can get.

Comment

One caution about reverse searing a rib roast on the BGE: there is a lot of fat that is just ready to EXPLODE when it drips and hits that fire underneath. Instead of doing it on the grate, put a cast iron pan on the grate and do the roast in it.

(Ask me how I learned this.)

Comment

• BBQPaddy
              BBQPaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm guessing,"the hard way?"

Maybe you learned it when you were inventing Seared Rib Roast Particulate

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here