Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with left-over rib roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with left-over rib roast?

Find a recipe for Philly cheese steaks that appeals to you, freeze the leftover roast for about 45 minutes, slice thin pieces off the roast, then follow the recipe you picked out.

YUM-O!

Willy I had left over roast on Wednesday as well. I broke out the slicer and shaved it pretty thin. I picked out lots of waste and froze in vacuum sealed bags. What is your plan to cook? Place on griddle frozen or?

Comment

dirtman - What I do for them is to thaw the meat, put a TBS of soy, 2-3 Tbs of Bloody Mary mix and a handful of pepperocinis on the meat. Put it in a bag and let it marinade. On a griddle (I use the back side of my grill grates) heat quickly, onions, bell peppers a few small slices of jalapeño (optional). Once soft, throw the meat on and turn rapidly. Add a handful of jack cheese, working it into the mixture. Take a roll and pick the meat up with the roll and a spatula and plate. The cheese should be going everywhere in strings. Repeat quickly until everything is filling your rolls. Willy - what is your technique and recipe?

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        dirtman I "par froze" the entire roast to aid in slicing thinly. the meat was definitely thawed when I made the sandwiches.

Google a few cheese steak recipes for help with "technique".

• dirtman
        dirtman commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy the freezing prior to slicing is an excellent idea. I had six roasts in ranging from 4-6 lbs. Much of the eye of the rib was served and I had lots of pieces. Those were very difficult to slice and freezing would have helped immensely.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        dirtman Yeah, about 45 minutes is good--too long and it's impossible to slice. To be clear, the freezing idea isn't original with me.,

Same basic idea. I've only cooked once late night after many cocktails. Looking for advice on this one! I used grill grates as well. Toasted the buns using olive oil, cooked onions and peppers in oil put on the meat and finally the cheese. I'm curious if putting on the grill frozen would keep the meat from cooking and simply reheat. Doesn't The Great Steak at the mall put on frozen?

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've cooked tons of tri-tip cooked, seasoned, cut thin and then frozen. Comes out fantastic. I typically put a pan over the top of the mixture on the grill when I go from frozen.

I rub mustard on top, place under the broiler and let it rip on HI. I've already done that twice in the last week.

Next roast I am trimming the heck out of it. Cook the eye, the rest will have ALL connective tissue removed and cooked like little sirloin tips.

I was going to cook one more but the last one at wolly world was $77+.

Comment

3 quarts of beef stock, 2 onions, a pound of carrots, 3 ribs of celery. A handful of chopped parsley, some leftover mashed potatoes and corn, a couple bay leaves, a Tablespoon of thyme and some pepper, and salt if it needs some. A can of whole tomatoes, roughly chopped. And the leftover beef.

simmer all that up for a couple hours. Refrigerate it overnight, then the next morning remove the congealed fat. Enjoy with rice, noodles, dumplings, whatever starch you prefer.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Fer shure, part of my leftovers are going to make stew. Homemade stock and browning the meat & veg are the secrets there! Deglaze with some red wine.

Getting the meet lightly frozen helps with the thin slicing. I do that with poultry and it makes cutting it up easier.

Philly Cheese Steak:
        Caramelize chopped onions.
        Slice meat very thin. Sear on griddle. Topp with slices of velveeta or melted wiz.
        Slice hoagie roll (sourdough if possible) and pile with meat, onions, cheese. Inhale.

Comment

If you ask the dog I'm sure he/she will have a great idea

Comment

Eat it as leftovers. The Meathead Thanksgiving Manifesto applies to other holiday meals.

Comment

Beef barley soup

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here