Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear filets on Christmas Eve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse sear filets on Christmas Eve

Tried this with a few 8oz filets. Put the filets on the hood rack of my Weber Genesis with just the front burner just below medium...kept it at about 230deg. Flipped them a couple of times until 115. Then put one of the grids right on the flavorizer bars and blasted them while flipping them until 135. The family was a bit pissed that it was taking so long (my fault as I was unsure of timing) but when they ate them they LOVED them...

Nice, reverse sear is the best technique. I also did filet tonight, a whole tenderloin roast on the weber kettle.

This thread needs a picture, so here is some reverse seared filet from tonight. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	3 Size:	587.8 KB ID:	254892
    Last edited by bbqoaf; December 25, 2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      delicious!

Nice! This week I will be upgrading my phone into the 21st century and will be more able to upload photos.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Regarding Your Meal Delay! A long time Secret of Mine is Don't Ever Feed'm until You are at Least 1 Hr Late, 2 Hrs are Better! By that Time they will Swear It's The Best Ever! Happy Holidays! 🎄🎁🍹🎁🎄
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

rmeugene how long did it take them to come up to 115 degrees? And what was your ambient temperature and wind conditions?

Comment

• rmeugene
        rmeugene commented
        Editing a comment
        It took close to an hour. Ambient temp was probably around mid 30's.

rmeugene Thanks for the reply. I tried the Reverse Sear for the first time last night. A couple of nice Chuckeyes cut thick. I have been grilling steaks using techniques recommended by Weber for several years. Mostly with good results. Everyone loves my steaks. But I have noticed that my steaks are not always consistently cooked. Some parts of the steak are overcooked and some are perfect. I was aware of the Reverse Sear technique from this site. Decided to try it. It was about 40 f and breezy. Gusts up to about 25 miles per hour. It was really knocking down my heat. And I had a burner flame out on the Weber Sprit 210. After about 1/2 hour on indirect heat at about 230f my internal temp was about 100f. The wife was ready to eat so I bailed on the project at that point and cranked up the heat and went direct for 10 minutes turning once. The steaks were pretty good. Internal temp was 138f. Very evening cooked. But they were lacking that nice crust on the exterior. Probably because the heat was too low. Basically, this was a half ass reverse sear. And yet I can see the benefits.

Comment

• rmeugene
        rmeugene commented
        Editing a comment
        Yah...my wife was "restless" also since it was heading on 8:00! But I held strong! Actually begged her to let me finish it.

Sorry, replied in the wrong spot. i was attempting to reply to rmeugene's comment.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I removed your accidental self-quote and tagged him for you

• PJBowmaster
        PJBowmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!! I'll figure this stuff out someday....LOL

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here