Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib in Camp Chef 24" Vault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib in Camp Chef 24" Vault

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm doing a Prime Rib in a Camp Chef 24" vault. This will be my first one in a gas smoker - in the previous years I did it on a WSM and it always turned out great. My concern is the wood and smoke. I don't want to oversmoke it but I still would like a hint of smoke in it. The recipe for the Prime Rib calls for 2-4 ounces of wood max. Does that include gas smokers? Without charcoal, should we use a little more wood?

Thanks!

Neil M.

I'd probably be satisfied just simply putting some briquettes on top of the fire.

Comment

• NeilMow
      NeilMow commented
      Editing a comment
      And not use any wood? Would you put them in the wood pan or directly on the burner?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      NeilMow. None myself. When I do indirect it is charcoal only for beef rib roasts or steaks in general.

• NeilMow
      NeilMow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll give it a go! I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you.

EDIT: I was thinking about it. Rather than putting them directly on the fire, which there isn't exactly an easy way of doing it (unless I'm missing something), I'm going to light several of the briquettes in my chimney and pour them into the wood pan that is provided with the smoker. Should have the same effect.
      Last edited by NeilMow; December 25, 2016, 10:18 AM.

I like using wood chunks in the Smoke Vault wood tray. If you want mild smoke, just let the wood burn for about a half hour and definitely don't use that nasty old mesquite.
    Last edited by Max Good; December 25, 2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here