Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Contraband Porterhouse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Contraband Porterhouse!

Good morning! Down here in El Salvador it's difficult to get great quality steaks. So a friend who studies in NYC and was coming back home for the holidays came up with the idea to contraband a Prime Aged Porterhouse and a Ribeye from Lobel's in his luggage, hidden in a cooler, and we're making the PH tomorrow night. Thing is, they we're frozen solid, so he dropped them off at my place yesterday for me to start thawing in a cold water container. It was vacuum sealed, but apparently the bag had a small hole, and water got into the bag, and now it looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 12-22-16, 7 16 42 AM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	253425Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 12-22-16, 7 16 32 AM.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	253426

There was some clear reddish water when I discarded it so I'm afraid I let some of the juices out and it's not going to taste as it should.I'm afraid he's gonna kill me for "ruining" the steak. It is still pretty much frozen solid, so I repacked it in a tight zip bag and put it back in water.

Will I be ok? Any measures I should take?

Thanks,
    Gijs

Bummer! It just had 'some' water in the bag? I'd still dry brine it and cook it since it's still frozen. I'd only worry if it had thawed and was floating in warm water, over 40 deg F. Dry brine it and cook per usual is what I'd do.

Comment

Agreed. If it was still pretty much frozen, you'll never notice the difference. Enjoy!

Comment

Vacuum sealed, and had a hole in the bag? I'm not sure how that worked, but cold water won't degrade the integrity of your steak.

Comment

i've had prime grade steaks that ended up with some freezer burn. still ate it, was still great. i wouldn't worry about it

Comment

Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing I didn't kill this gorgeous steak, will post results tomorrow.

Comment

Don't worry enjoy!

Comment

It's good. Meat doesn't go bad unless you abuse it. Nothing in your story says abuse, yet. The picture looks thin so hot and fast on very hot coals. If it was me, and I cook on a weber so all my times are specific: 9 and 7 minutes - probes are better but this gets you in the game (of course there tons of adjustment). Porterhouse is a T-Bone with more rib attached, so cook it like a t-bone. Also, lots of butter doesn't hurt, nor does a dry brine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here