Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with an old freezer burnt brisket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with an old freezer burnt brisket.

I need a little help with a brisket that my father in law gave me to cook for Christmas this year. He received this brisket about 8 months ago and who ever gave it too him cut it in half and vacuum sealed it half way so there was air inside the bags. I'm not sure how long the guy had it in the freezer before he gave it to my father in law but, there is quite a bit of freezer burn on the meat. I pulled another brisket out knowing that this one is not going to work but what I was wondering if I could possibly make the freezer burnt one into burnt ends or something. My plan is to trim the burn off as much as possible and still cook the salvaged meat. I was just curious if anybody had any suggestions for a salvage operation? I can't just throw it away. Thanks for the help in advance!

My solution: secretly throw it away and cook the good one. Then let the FIL think he did a great thing. He won't know if you don't tell him.

Comment

Great advice!

Comment

I would cut off the freezer burned parts and cook it low and slow. Add a little broth at around 160 and crutch it for sure. When it's done slice or even chop it necessary. It might turn out ok for sandwiches. You can always throw it away if it doesn't turn out. For sure thank your FIL as though he gave you some thing great!!

Comment

I appreciate the help guys! I will just wing it and hope for the best. Have a Merry Christmas!

Comment

If your trimming job makes it thinner, watch it very closely. In fact, if it's very thin, you might consider stacking the pieces so that they will cook slower. I've never done that, so I hope others will comment on whether or not they would stack very thin pieces.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here