Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well that brisket is on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that brisket is on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	251881 Roast hit the BGE at almost exactly midnight. The weather isn't as bad as originally forecast, but it isn't nice, either. About 37* and light rain, with heavier rain in the wee hours and toward morning.

The bottom rack has the flat and is holding a nice steady 225*, the upper rack holds the point and is at 262. They tend to even out after an hour or two. Plastic bags cover the monitors, and I jimmied a rain cap for the upper vent. And it's off to bed and let's see what surprises tomorrow brings!

That "jimmie" on the top looks like you ready for a trip to Mars.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      or to keep the government (or little green men) from scanning his mind Aaa I mean his brisket.

As dreams of Smoked Brisket danced in their heads!! You are a true Pitmaster!! (I was suppose to do a couple of racks of Ribs for a friends Birthday, not for a party or anything I just do that for him ever B day, It was way to windy and around 15 degrees hes getting them mid week!! lol)

Comment

Would tell you good luck but know you don't need it. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy a fine feast and your daughter will appreciate your efforts to make her trip home special.

Comment

#OvernightFun

Comment

Got the Maverick on the nightstand. At 5AM when I got up to pee, the upper rack was 223 and the upper brisket was 150ish, I don't remember exactly. I went to the door to check the lower rack, it was 233. So I left everything alone and went back to bed.

Now it's 8:30AM, the upper rack is 216 and the upper brisket is 171. I'll take a shower and check the coals, but I'm not worried. 216 is probably okay considering it's raining pretty steadily. I'll open the vents a crack more, should fix that.

Comment

So, are you thinking about a covered grill Station on that deck you had built? I know you don't need it, but it sure is nice with steady rain.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              It would be nice, absolutely! But this is not going to be the norm.

10AM, point is at 189. Not tender yet. I've had these tender at 193, and tender at 205.

I used that Charbroil Center Cut charcoal. The good: it fires up fast, without any gray or white smoke. The bad: it burns fast, real fast. You won't get any 22 hour BGE burns with this one. I filled the bowl 3/4 of the way to the top of the fire ring, and had to do a reload around 9AM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              That's bad news. I just bought 60# on amazon. What do you think? It is great for grilling or roasting? I'll be putting on a flat and point tomorrow with charcoal up to the top of the fire ring and an outside temp of 20. I'll let you know how it goes.
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; December 18, 2016, 11:52 AM.

I'm sure it will turn out great.

Comment

Took it off at 11:30 and 205. Parts probed tender, parts didn't, but I wasn't taking it any higher. Wrapped and ready for football lunch time!

Comment

Mosca, Nice job, well-documented cook, thanks for th' info, and inspiration! Enjoy yer brisket, an' yer footsball game!
                Please, post us some pitchers, if ya have time before th' game...

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, this was picture-light because of the darkness, and then because of the rain. I'll try to get a slice bent over a knife or something like that!

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mosca Finished product will do jus' fine; I'm headin' out to cook @ 0°F, could use th' warmpth!!! ;-)

Great Cook Mosca !! Nice posts and very good effort by a true Pitmaster!!

Comment

This came out well. It is moist and tender, and I still love the little heat from BBBR. For all the talk of burnt ends, I prefer slicing the point. No smoke ring, but I don't usually get one. It's still smoky enough, so idk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	252095

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The smoke ring is a gas penetration thing. Smoke particles adhere to the surface.

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dang good looking brisket there Mosca... Kudos sir!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks really nice. I'd certainly partake!

Beautiful!

Comment

You can see the moistness, looks wonderful! I too am a point slicer and I'm not a burnt ends fan.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here