Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skirt steak on charcoal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skirt steak on charcoal help

I haven't really been satisfied with the skirt steaks I've done on my kettle this far. They have tasted burnt using the afterburner method. On Friday i'll be doing skirt steak for fajitas and due to volume will be using my slow n sear in the kettle, not the chimney. Should I thoroughly wipe off the marinade before I grill the steak or just let the excess drip off? I'm wondering if the oil burning from the marinade is what is causing the burnt taste. Of course the heat may not be as intense in a slow n sear as the afterburner method.

also, just to check, should there be any flames "licking" the steak? Not flare-ups, just a hot fire flame from the charcoal.

Originally posted by tugboat View Post
    I haven't really been satisfied with the skirt steaks I've done on my kettle this far. They have tasted burnt using the afterburner method. On Friday i'll be doing skirt steak for fajitas and due to volume will be using my slow n sear in the kettle, not the chimney. Should I thoroughly wipe off the marinade before I grill the steak or just let the excess drip off? I'm wondering if the oil burning from the marinade is what is causing the burnt taste. Of course the heat may not be as intense in a slow n sear as the afterburner method.

also, just to check, should there be any flames "licking" the steak? Not flare-ups, just a hot fire flame from the charcoal.
    Hi, my recommendation is to use GrillGrates on skirt steak and flip often. The GG's get very hot (so this is a quick cook) and all the excess marinade will steam the steak and re-flavor the meat really nice.

Comment

I do skirt steak for carne asada and fajitas often. I use my Weber kettle with a full chimney of charcoal in the traditional method. I spread the coals evenly on the bottom of the kettle, preheat the standard grill, then lay the strips on and turn frequently. I don't mind a few flare ups and move the meat before it burns but after it darkens a bit. Be careful not to overcook as it can get leathery.

Comment

Spices can burn too giving it that off-taste.

Comment

Does it have the taste of being burned but the doneness you want or is the whole thing overdone? What is the marinade you are using? Is it thick in sugar or tomato?

Comment

Not overdone at all. Nice and med-rare to medium. The times I've done it it's just been salt (dry brine beforehand) and a bit of olive oil.

Comment

I agree with cooking hot and flipping often in a weber kettle. I usually S&P the day before and maybe hit them with garlic powder just before putting them on the grill. As long as you flip often they turn out great with no "burnt" taste you mentioned.

Comment

t , most of the times when I'm cooking something thin and hot that tastes burnt but isn't I think it has to do with either what I have used on the outside - sugars burn more easily, or my grates have not been clean. Also, is there a possibility that your olive oil may be getting a bit rancid? People report that when rancid oil is cooked it tastes metallic or burnt. Good luck with your cook. Like CaptainMike, I put a layer of coals down to cook asada. I throw in a couple of chunks of wood for flavor. I am using a Santa Maria grill for it and I raise/lower the grill to control the temp. I think switching up your method will make all the difference in the world and you will knock it out of the park. Check your olive oil, clean your grills and have at it!

Comment

I'm guessing it's the marinade, mentioned in the original post, or the oil. I've done this a few times... http://altonbrown.com/steak-on-coals/ and love it.

No oil!!!

Possibly save your marinade for a board sauce when slicing, if those are flavors you want to marry into the finished dish? Or use a flavored finishing salt?

Comment

I did some skirt steaks not to long ago with grillgrates. Used the receipe tech from serious eats. Man was it awesome. It went well with the receipe for yucatan bbw sauce. Check out that web site. I just did a real quick sear on the flat part of the grillgrates. A cast iron skillet would work just as good
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	251088

I cooked em whole, then sliced em up
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Nate
                      Nate commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beautiful!

• Tim E
                      Tim E commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks good! Ive done the same serious eats recipe and seared flank on flat GG's. It was amazing.

Beautiful

Comment

Belated update: I used the skirt steak marinade but I used canola oil instead of EVOO. I also used my slow n sear instead of the chimney starter and flipped like crazy. Turned out fantastic!! I was shooting for medium but it ended up on the cool side of med-rare I think because I pulled them off the heat to do the veggies on my gas grill with upside down GrillGrates and I think the cold killed the carryover cooking.

BTW, upside down GrillGrates make MEAN veggies. Fajita veggies and green beans are DELICIOUS cooked super hot and quick on smoking hot GrillGrates.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here