Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what cut of beef this is and how it would be best cooked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what cut of beef this is and how it would be best cooked?

I was at the import shop when I ran into this piece of mystery meat. Usually I pass on these but this one was close to its expiration date so it was marked down quite a bit, I got it for $6. All it says is "beef". It doesn't say what kind of cut it is. It's from New Zealand so the quality isn't an issue. It's vacuum sealed so the package conforms to the size of the meat.

Anyone know what it is? It's pretty thick so I was going to treat it like a pork butt: trim the fat, put Memphis Rub on it and oven roast it at 225.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161213_133729_HDR.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	250106

Name:	IMG_20161213_133752_HDR.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	250107

It's hard to tell with it in the package but from what I can see it looks like a part of the brisket.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. Pretty sure it's not gonna be a real tender piece of beef but fatty enough it may well lend itself to a "low & slow til probe tender" approach. Enjoy!

I'd take a look at how much marbling, if any, it has once you trim the fat. Take it to 130F IT and if a small QC (quality control) piece doesn't cut/taste/feel like steak then take it to probe tender at about 200F IT.

Good luck!

Comment

If it is beef, I would personally not use Memphis Dust. I would use BBBR, or similar. For me, MMD is too sweet for beef.

Comment

My best guess would be a Brisket flat. I would inject with beef broth, cook it at 225 and wrap when it hits the stall. I would take it to 203 internal temp.

Comment

I realized I never followed up here with the results. I sous vided it using the Anova brisket setting. However I think they assumed it was a full size brisket and this piece got cooked a bit long. The guide called for 24 hours and this got about 8. I thought there was a lot of moisture in the sous vide bag, I guess I was right. So it was a bit dry. But the bark came out nicely when I finished it in the oven. It was already well done by then so the extra oven time just made it kind of crispy. Still, I got a great deal on it. Thanks to everyone who guessed!

Name:	mmexport1489808890444.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	290845

Name:	mmexport1489808904934.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	290844

Name:	mmexport1489808908763.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	290846

Click image for larger version  Name:	mmexport1489808223082.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	290834

Click image for larger version  Name:	mmexport1489808226028.jpg Views:	1 Size:	127.1 KB ID:	290835

Click image for larger version  Name:	mmexport1489808229112.jpg Views:	1 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	290836
          Last edited by Lost in China; March 17, 2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Looks good but IMHO you should have left in in the bath the full 24 hours. Brisket is a tough piece of meat and needs a long time at that temperature to break down all the connective tissues. In a smoker the brisket can take 8 hours and often more and that is at a higher cooking temp. As far as the juices in the bag that is quite normal and nothing to be alarmed about. When cooked in a smoker the brisket shrinks significantly - that is moisture loss except you don't see the loss because the moisture evaporates. Seeing the juices in the bag seems wrong but it isn't. I have SV'd beef ribs at 135 for 72 hours and they were super tender.. Even with a lot of juices in bag. Don't tell anyone but I've been known to drink those juices - pure beef essence..

Just to add with long SV cooks like this the size of the meat does not matter - its about tenderizing and braking down those tuff tissues...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here