Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USDA Prime rib roast vs. USDA Prime strip loin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USDA Prime rib roast vs. USDA Prime strip loin?

Busy shopping at Costco today looking for a USDA Prime prime rib. A whole boneless roast was $200--a bit more than I was thinking of spending. They also had nice USDA Prime New York Strip roasts for about $115. I left without either. I recently received an advertisement from a local purveyor touting USDA Choice prime rib. Boneless for $8.49 per pound--about the same price as the USDA Prime strip roast from Costco.

What are are your opinions on whether to take the choice prime rib, or the prime strip roast?

I like prime rib/ ribeye better than NY strip. I would buy the choice prime rib boneless.

Comment

I'd be plenty happy with Choice prime rib. I cooked a huge Select I had to cut the ends off to fit in the Pit Barrel and them dudes weren't bad either.

Like W.A. not a big fan of the New York variety.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF Prime is so foreign to me if it is Prime it is like a whole different cut. I want to say 5 years since I saw Prime in this town. Brisket flats, they were $6.49/lb.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Hey don't bash NY. LOL.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I personally would go for the prime rib. You can't beat the flavor and texture

Go with the Choice Rib. I bought two of the large Prime New York roasts from Costco - one to serve as a couple of roasts and the other I cut into New York steaks. I was not really pleased with either, considering it was Prime. The Prime Rib roast is a whole other matter. I have bought a few of them and there have been no disappointments as roasts and steaks. I have seen the Choice cut and it looks really close to the Prime. The difference was that the Prime was actually cheaper, per pound. This was due to the size - the Prime's are large roasts - costing between $150 - $200. The Choice are butchered smaller. If you have a Food Saver and freezer space, you might want to reconsider the Prime.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never had an issue with Choice Prime Rib - just a very fine cut all around.

Personally I'd grab the choice prime rib. They should have plenty of marbling to make for a heckuva nice meal.

Comment

I looked at Breadhead's photo about his 65th birthday - $10.90 a pound, I believe, for that big Prime Ribeye roast. I've seen the following at my Costco - one week the large Prime New York roast will be around $8.50 a pound and the Prime Ribeye will be somewhere around $10-$12 a pound. A couple of weeks later the prices per pound reverse for the roasts. The Choice Ribeye roast is not sold in bulk at my store and is generally around $12 a pound. The nice thing about the Choice is that because it is not vacuum packed, you can really see what you are getting as far as marbling is concerned. They look every bit as good as the Prime. I would never hesitate getting the Choice roast, it just turns out to be more cost effective (per pound) going for the Prime when they have it at the right price.

Comment

• johnsteen
          johnsteen commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought one of the roast that Breadhead had. Cut into thick steaks...fabulous! I think mine was $10.77 per pound in Houston and their cut steaks of the same were $17.99 per pound. Last Christmas SRF had their American Wagu 7.5 pound on for 1/2 price from $299. Would do again for the sale price

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like the choice prime rib it is--that's what my wife said to do, too... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DeadSalmon View Post
          Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like the choice prime rib it is--that's what my wife said to do, too... :-)
          I'll be the odd man out and say a strip loin will still make one mighty fine roast, don't rule it out (for the future)....gotta listen to the wife though, smart man!

By the way, welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

Comment

Welcome DeadSalmon

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! I'd be all over that rib roast over the strip, but that's what I like.

Comment

Thank you all for your help and opinions. I ended up with the USDA Choice Prime Rib from Costco which was very well marbled. Could have been a Prime if I didn't know better. Used Meathead's Mrs O'Leary's Cow Rub and the reverse sear and it was FANTASTIC! Thanks again!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2130.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.24 MB ID:	256376
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Roast 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	256377 Click image for larger version

Name:	9D635003-91C4-4AA8-AE7C-F33477D34797-1.jpg
Views:	2323
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	256384
                  Last edited by DeadSalmon; December 28, 2016, 08:11 PM. Reason: Cropped the sliced roast -- no one needs to see *my* ugly mug... :-)

Comment

• BBQbot
                    BBQbot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, that looks good! I think you made the right choice!

Wow. I chimed in a bit late. But that roast looks incredible. Great job.

Comment

That looks beautiful! The last pic is a little blurry but im still droolig!!

Comment

• DeadSalmon
                      DeadSalmon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was my mother running the camera. I think she was drooling too much to hold the camera still. LOL

Fantastic! I'm glad you felt good about your purchase and even better that it turned out great. Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here