Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wagu/kobe beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wagu/kobe beef

Guys I need your help. What's the best place to buy wagu/kobe beef, what cut, and how to cook it.

I dont have the where withal to afford beef of that magnitude (boy wish i did though! very envious!) So cant help you with the where but what I do know is true Kobe beef is so very Rich that the Japanese eat it as a appetizer. Very thinly cut pieces of meat with otherAccoutrements. Don't expect people to eat a full size Ribeye or Strip they are just too rich (no pun intended) This is only for True Japaneses Kobe. if what you find is American Wagu (beef that is a cross between Wagu cattle and Angus cattle) That is not as marbled therefore not at rich (full of fat) so can be enjoyed in Steak form. As I understand it lol as stated not ever got to try any!

Comment

I'm not loaded by any means but about once I year I save and splurge on something insane. One year I ate at nobu in LA and had wagu beef tacos... HEAVEN. So I know you can get two steak cuts for $200 ish and I want to surprise the misses. I've looked at this website https://www.allenbrothers.com/wagyu.html?limit=all . I really appreciate your insight!

Comment

Man that's so expensive I would be afraid of messing it up, which means I probably would.

Comment

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Comment

It depends what you're looking for? Do you want traditional japanese wagyu/kobe? Snake River farms makes some cross wagyu kobe stuff that I really really like. It's a bit meatier and a bit less marbled than kobe, but great flavor!

What type of meats are you considering- tenderloin, ribeye, strip loin?

Comment

Everyone should try Wagyu and/or Kobe beef at least once. For me personally it is too rich to the point of being less than enjoyable. I prefer to go with a USDA Prime Ribeye. There's less fat in a Prime cut of meat than Kobe and for my taste that is better. Not everyone will agree with me but that's my honest opinion.😎

Comment

American Wagyu and USDA Prime Beef and Kurobuta Pork. Buy Filet Mignon, Ribeye, Sirloin, NY Strip and Dry-Aged Steaks Online. Flat-Rate Shipping To Your Door.

Comment

I'm looking for anything and how do you prepare it?
                  Last edited by frijolefrito; December 2, 2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

If you're looking for the real deal, be prepared to pay for it. Like, $100+/lb. As far as preparing it, I don't know, I've never bought it. I have eaten it, at CUT in The Palazzo in Vegas, and it is really, really rich, like eating that slug of fat out of the middle of a ribeye, but meatier. A couple bites is fine.

Snake River Farms' Wagyu is what they call "American Wagyu", a cross between Japanese Kobe and Black Angus. It is fattier than prime, meatier than Kobe, and while it is pricey, it is worth it for a special occasion, IMO.

Cook SRF American Wagyu the same way you would cook prime beef. I did a rib roast last Christmas that was absolutely out of this world: trimmed it, coated it with SPG, roasted it at 250* until internal of 130*, sliced and served. I've done several briskets, and they behave pretty much the same as regular briskets, except they tend to probe tender at a lower temp, usually 190-195.

I haven't done SRF steaks. And, I'm sure there are other sources, but I can't comment on those because I haven't used them.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Snake River Farms has a 10% off Gold sale this weekend!

This weekend, enjoy 10% OFF our entire selection of American Kobe Gold Grade products, the very highest graded beef we have to offer. From steaks, and roasts to briskets, simply enter promo code GOLD16 to enjoy savings on some of the best beef that will ever grace your dining room table.

Comment

Not only can you buy meat, but you can buy genetics to start your own herd. https://morganranchinc.com/en
                      Last edited by Craigar; December 2, 2016, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• johnec00
                        johnec00 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need to add the "inc" to your link. As it is, it goes to "morganranch (dot) com, which is for sale.

• Craigar
                        Craigar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you for pointing that out. I'm not sure what I screwed up. Now try it, hopefully it works properly this time around.

I found this https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe.../wagyu-tri-tip but it's tri tip. Thanks for the suggestions I'll do pictures when I cook it for xmas. http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/ameri...tri-tip-1.html
                      Last edited by frijolefrito; December 2, 2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by @frijolefrito
                        rib roast like prime rib? I need to google this.
                        Not the same roast, but you do it the same way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13718562_1067788699967996_3486603971783414152_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	245889

Comment

• frijolefrito
                          frijolefrito commented
                          Editing a comment
                          that looks good

Nobody has mentioned Heritage Foods Aukashi beef so I'll throw it out there. Pure-bred, no cross-breeding and trimmed before shipping.

That link was for the brisket and I haven't tried their steaks and roasts so can't comment on those. But their brisket totally rocks, it's already trimmed and it's a lot cheaper per pound than the SRF 16-18 lb. brisket that trims down to about the same weight. I've cooked one and the taste is to die for! The other is in the freezer waiting for the time to cook it.

I shared the recent SRF 16-18 BOGO deal with a friend, got an 18-20 brisket from them that has at least an inch of fat over the whole thing. For the BOGO price I think it's a good deal, for their normal price of $189 not so much so. It's in the freezer too.

I think SRF has taken advantage of their publicity and it reflects in their price. I'll have a better opinion after I've cooked their brisket. Maybe the cross-breeding beats the pure line, maybe not. I can't say. But if you consider the price/lb of what you'll put in the smoker the Aukashi comes out the winner by about at least $4.00/lb.

HTH,
                        Bill
                        Last edited by billg71; December 2, 2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here