Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of meat is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of meat is this?

So I ordered a piece of 2lbs of boneless short ribs and this is what I got. On the ticket it says brisket/boneless short rib. It's about 1.5 inches thick. Does anyone can tell by the way it looks if this can be short rib? What part do you guys think it is? I love the marbling though!

Thanks
    Attached Files

I wonder if it tastes like chicken?

Comment

It looks, to me, like a short rib that has been removed from the bone. It looks like a fine cut to me.

Comment

cook it low and slow baby!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Spinaker why do you think that. Asking bc I'm trying to learn.

Comment

To me it looks like the same beef that is on top of a rib bone. Usually your going to see something like what I posted down below. A really thick chunk of meat on top of a flat rib bone. But this looks to me like its been tripped off the bone and cut in half. I might be wrong on this one. But that is what I am thinking.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-1.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	244572

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree! Marbling looks awesome. Making me hungry!

looks like a chuck roast

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I was thinking too.

• Dutchness
              Dutchness commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah looks like it, but that can not be true.

I guess with all that has been said so far, it won't taste like chicken.

Comment

im 90% sure that's a boneless short rib. Costco sells boneless short ribs in the Cryovac and they look exactly like that. I think David Parrish did some pastrami with those. In my opinion they arent quite as good the bone in ones on the smoker. However, they are killer for braising in a red wine sauce in a dutch oven and throwing over some red skinned mashed potatoes!

Comment

• Dutchness
                Dutchness commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for your reply. Yeah that sounds really good.

I should clarify that I'm in europe. cuts are different and that's why I'm confused. I'm more familiar with the American names of the different cuts.

I actually ordered it to test it out to make carne asada out of it. I'm also thinking I could use it in my burger blend.

​​​​​I'm really surprised how much intramuscular fat it has for it not being grain fed. I paid $2.50/lbs so it's really affordable too.

Comment

I've ordered boneless short ribs a couple times before to use for my burger blend and they were really really lean.

Below you have some examples of that.

Attached Files
              Last edited by Dutchness; November 28, 2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smokinfatties View Post
                im 90% sure that's a boneless short rib. Costco sells boneless short ribs in the Cryovac and they look exactly like that. I think David Parrish did some pastrami with those. In my opinion they arent quite as good the bone in ones on the smoker. However, they are killer for braising in a red wine sauce in a dutch oven and throwing over some red skinned mashed potatoes!
                Agree it looks like he got what he paid for.

Comment

I smoked it today until 190F. Not my favorite. Tomorrow I'm getting some more, will try some different things with it.

Attached Files

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It looks really good. What didn't you like about it?

• Dutchness
                    Dutchness commented
                    Editing a comment
                    'Steak' and smoke, a combination I am not really into.

Can anyone tell me what muscle is right on top of the short rib meat?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchness View Post
                    Can anyone tell me what muscle is right on top of the short rib meat?
                    Perhaps this link will be of some help: http://www.chefs-resources.com/types...ef-short-ribs/

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      MBMorgan - that was very helpful. The wife and I have often wondered why the cut is so inconsistent.

• Dutchness
                      Dutchness commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the link. Very useful!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here