Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever do Jewish style brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever do Jewish style brisket?

I know this is a bbq place and all, but to quote Aaron Franklin, "There are many paths to great brisket", and some of them surely lead in a completely different direction from what we conventionally think. Before I got my BGE I did hundreds of pot roasts and stews and soups with chuckies; I never considered doing anything else with them. To me, smoking a chuckie is the strange thing to do with it, and for a large part of the world that probably holds true for brisket as well!

In his book Meat, Pat LaFrieda has a really interesting recipe that uses salt, pepper, beef stock, sugar, honey, cinnamon and cloves. Man, I'm just itching to try that. I don't want to blow up 17 pounds of SRF over it, but if I could find a 4 or 5 lb point to experiment with, that would be a wonderful afternoon of discovery, don't you think?

Never done one ... but here's a link to a recipe that describes the techneque pretty well over on the Serious Eats site: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...et-recipe.html

Comment

That process is similar to LaFrieda's in some ways. I see any of the recipes as beef stew, with variations allowing for the different cut. Both recipes stress that the long cook dries out the roast, and to make sure you use the point; but point is hard to get separately. I'm thinking that there might be a way to inject fat? Maybe render some of the trimmings and inject that? God knows there's enough fat trimmed from a brisket.

Comment

In hindsight, I actually have cooked "Jewish style brisket" ... just didn't know what it was called. We're considering doing one for Christmas but substituting chuck roast for brisket in an attempt to address the dryness issue. We'll probably do a test run next week to see if a chuckie works.

Comment

I was wrong about one thing. If you expand to see "full recipe" in the link you shared, it says that the recipe is worked to use just the flat, and keep it moist. I think it might be possible to combine the two and get pretty good results.

Comment

We've been down this road before: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...jewish-brisket

Comment

Jeez, and I asked the question. It's hell getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                Jeez, and I asked the question. It's hell getting old.
                They say that the first two things to go are (1) memory ............... oh, and (2) memory ...

Comment

Next time you wonder about a Jewish brisket just remember, there was this rabbi, priest, & minister walked into a BBQ joint. They all sat down & ordered. The rabbi ordered some kosher brisket & the other 2 guys asked why. He answered there was this guy Mosca who kept asking for it and I thought I'd give it a try. They asked, he kept asking for it? Why? The rabbi said, how do I know, he's the one who kept asking for it, maybe it's a Pittsburgh thing or oldtimers disease. They replied, OH !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here