Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking whole packer brisket - kosher meat ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking whole packer brisket - kosher meat ok?

Choosing a big 14 lb packer cut brisket to smoke for thanksgiving. Has anyone used a kosher brisket? Would that affect how to prep, dry-brine overnight etc.? The cut is choice. Would anyone avoid this and find non-kosher instead?

Welcome ElanP ! I wouldn't think twice about smoking that fine piece of beef. Go about your business as usual such as dry brine overnight after trimming the fat cap to your taste. You will not be disappointed with the results.

Comment

DO NOT brine this if it's truly kosher beef. It has already been brined as part of the koshering process.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess that would explain why my family and I drank about 14 gallons of water after I smoked a kosher brisket. I was always under the impression brined brisket was nothing more than corned beef.

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        cured vs brined

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        So true DeusDingo just a little brain fade on my part.

ElanP I have zero experience with a a kosher brisket, but I will say...Welcome, and we'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses! I am concerned about the pre-salted issue since I would otherwise plan to dry brine overnight myself. Also for the price tag on a choice kosher brisket I can go a grade or two up and get a prime or even "wagyu" quality from my local meat purveyor so I think I am better off going that route if I am already committing to spend the $!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Welcome ElanP

Comment

Originally posted by ElanP View Post
            Thanks so much for the responses! I am concerned about the pre-salted issue since I would otherwise plan to dry brine overnight myself. Also for the price tag on a choice kosher brisket I can go a grade or two up and get a prime or even "wagyu" quality from my local meat purveyor so I think I am better off going that route if I am already committing to spend the $!

Happy Thanksgiving!
            Yeah if you're going to follow a recipe such as Meathead's, and you can get an unprocessed brisket especially a grade or two higher, so much the better! Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here