Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pat LaFrieda 30 day dry aged prime ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat LaFrieda 30 day dry aged prime ribeye

My wife's mother has been in town the past two weeks so we wanted to cook something really good for her last night here. So I splurged on a couple 30 day dry-aged prime center cut ribeyes from Pat LaFrieda. I only used one so the other is in the freezer for another meal.

First, I've never seen this much marbling on a steak in person. Holy intramuscular fat. I salted it 2 days beforehand and left it uncovered in the fridge. I reverse seared the steak and my wife made some Swiss style Au Gratin potatoes and I made some charred green beans. I didn't need any "beef love" - the surface already had plenty on it at 115 degrees from the marbling melting. Better meal than any steakhouse!

Drying it it out that long I think helped me cook it perfectly. That's the most "pink" I've ever had in a steak. This was also my first dry aged steak. Taste was phenomenal, and I was surprised by the texture. It was much much less "stringy" for lack of a better description than non dry aged steaks, but the reverse sear and intense marbling helped make it incredibly tender and juicy. Totally different texture than what I'm used to in steaks. Flavor seemed more concentrated too. I'm a dry aged convert! We rarely do big steaks but now I've found the way to splurge.
    Attached Files

Wow, that looks awesome! Great sear! The meal looks delicious. I'll have to splurge on a dry aged steak sometime as well.

Comment

I agree, looks awesome! Good cook.

Comment

That's a great looking steak.

Comment

Thanks! It was delicious!!! We'll do the second one in a couple weeks so it doesn't get freezer burnt. Hate to ruin such a good steak. I recommend the splurge some time. Definitely not a routine meal but for an occasional treat it's perfect.

Comment

Looks outstanding. Pat LaFrieda's meats are out of this world. I've ordered from him a few times. Pricey but for a special occasion well worth it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here