Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cote de Boeuf - done simple, done right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cote de Boeuf - done simple, done right.

So, I decided to treat myself and went to my local butcher for a Cote de Boeuf - hard to spell, easy on the palate :-)

I cooked it on my Big Green Egg, first indirect, then reverse seared. I cooked it at 150 °C (300 °F) until the inner temp reached 55 ° C (130 °F). I removed the plate setter and stoked the fire to get it real hot. I then seared it to get the internal temp up another 5 degrees before I let it rest for 10 minutes.

The beef was served with spinach, mozarella and my own pickled red onion. I had a real nice red wine with my meal. I personally think steaks call for a glass of red.

The beef (on my custom engraved cutting board, from the US of A)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7970.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	240132

Inspirational fire picture

Name:	IMG_7976.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	240131

The beef getting seared, some fat dripped down and caught fire

Name:	IMG_7978.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	240133

The plate (ordered the aluminum tray from the US also, together with butcher's paper)

Name:	IMG_7982.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	240134

The flavor was just great. Real simple, real nice. I can highly recommend this cut if you haven't tried it before.
    ​​​​​​​

DAMN!!!!! Looking good man!! Just out of curiosity, What do they charge you for something like this? I am always curious to see what meat prices are in different parts of the world.

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      In Sweden, probably not much more than your first born child or an arm and a leg! LOL. I spent quite a bit of time in Norway, and man! My bank account took a beating but a very unique and special part of the world!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That was kinda what I was thinking. I would love to get to Scandinavia one of these days. My mother was 100% Norwegian, both sets of her grandparents were from Oslo and Bergen. So I guess its calling me. smokinfatties

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude! Bergen is amazing. My best bud grew up in Bergen- its a wonderful place! Oslo is cool too, just more of a big city

Ya got my mouth watering.

Comment

Absolutely awesome!

Comment

Thank you! The question of meat price was interesting.

Luckily I don't live in Norway, that country is crazy expensive.

This particular cut at my local butcher costs 19.5 USD per pound (43 USD per kilo).

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          That ain't bad...cheaper than Whole Foods!

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice dude! do they have a similar grading system as the USDA? This looks like US prime grade but wasn't sure.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, meat is meat. It is up to you to do proper eyeballing at the butcher's.

That looks awesome Henrik !

Comment

Is Cote de Boeuf the same thing as a Cowboy steak - a bone in Rib eye?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it is.

Beautiful cook and great presentation, Henrik . You always make your food look so darn tasty. (And I'm sure it is!)

I love the idea of serving it on a tray over pink butcher's paper. Great presentation. I may have to swipe that idea.

Kathryn

P.S. I love the personalized cutting board. Where did you purchase it? Christmas is coming, so this is the season of Major Hints to my husband.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I stole the idea of serving on a tray with pink butcher's paper :-)
            Have seen it at two different bbq restaurants and really like it myself.

Nice cook! I love the cutting board!

Comment

You do good stuffs, good stuffs indeed.

Comment

Thank you all. I really like the inspiration and information this forum provides.

So, just some info on the cutting board. I talked to various companies in Sweden, but soon found out that ordering from the US (with shipping included) was cheaper. So I spent some time trying to find online websites. To make a long story short I ended up ordering from TaylorCrafts Engraved. They were helpful and offered a ton of options, which I like. You can get many different types of wood, from cherry, oak, maple et.c. Also with various features like a pan handle, or grooves on the short ends for better grip.

They want an SVG file for the engraving, which is a scalable vector graphics file. I didn't have one, I had my logo in png format, but I converted it online using this tool. There are plenty other online tools to choose from.

Either way, I ordered 5 (!) boards at once, that way I got a discount on the boards as well as the shipping, and as you say, fzxdoc , the season is approaching fast :-)
              I figured I can give some away.

Comment

Thanks for the great info on the engraved cutting board, Henrik. I'll check into it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Likewise Henrik, thanks! I've wanted my BBQ logo engraved on one as well.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here